Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those with Flex Fuel engines, how much mpg did you lose when you switched to E85? My EVIC was around 17mpg on regular gas. I started using E85 the other day (1st time) and the mpg went down to 15. I know this decrease in mpg offsets the cost savings but E85 is currently $3.29 here in MI while regular is over $4. A savings of 80 cents to $1 or more. The cost savings outweigh the mpg decrease. So, until regular gas prices go down I will be using E85.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
its not worth the cost saving. it ruins motors. its not good in internal parts.

buy regular gas. get better mileage, save the environment

·
Registered
189 Posts
yeah if you're tight on cash tho it's a decent temporary option. Just make sure you get in for oil changes and regular service more often than you used to...4x4 do you know of any fuel additives to get rid of E85 and Ethanol deposits?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here in East TN it is averaging $2.99 even when we had the highest gas prices in the nation this past weekend. Regular shot up to $5.09, the bastiages!! Anyway our Commander has hit 17mpg on the Interstate but around town it is between 13 & 15mpg. Here is a site that will help you find E85 in your area. There are several more as well. I only use regular gas when necessary now. Hump the gas ho's!

http://e85prices.com/

·
Registered
19 Posts
My Commander is not E85, but it is fairly common around here in Missouri, as we have a few manufacturing facilities. It runs about $0.55 less than regular, but my Titan FFV gets right at 20% less fuel economy on E85. So, at the current price of $3.49, even E85 being $2.94, it is not a good deal for me, and you have to fill up more often.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
i was going to ask the same question. I run the E85 once in a while, but my gas mileage goes from 15 to 9 mpg. E85 was 3.25 yesterday, so i thought I would give it a shot. Runs the same for me, but the loss in MPG isnt worth the reduction in MPG...so i dont think it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It's funny that this was brought up because last time i checked E85 here by my house cost more then regular. I can't justify spending more money and then burn 20% more then regular.

·
Registered
564 Posts
It's funny that this was brought up because last time i checked E85 here by my house cost more then regular. I can't justify spending more money and then burn 20% more then regular.

E85 is for the green heads that are making us pay more, it started by adding a 10% ethanol, now they are testing with 20% to see if they can add more... :ugh::ack::soapbox:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After my 2nd fill-up, my EVIC now says 13.7mpg. That's not good. I'm going back to regular gas, which is now down to $3.79. Oil is now less than $100/barrel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts