Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Can anyone confirm that Chrysler dropped 2 of the biggest easter eggs for 2010 M/Y?

I've tried 2 dozen times, and have done this hundreds of times in my other Chrysler Vehicles;

For my 2010 Commander, the "Key Dance" will NOT produce any DTC report in the EVIC window or anywhere else.

As well, I've tried the Customer Programming Procedure for my new Fobik Key, with 2 valid working Fobiks. In fact, I only got one Fobik with the vehicle (used), bought 2 identical Fobiks and had one programmed by the dealer, planned on programming the 3rd myself.

Tried 2 dozen times, my 2010 Commander will NOT enter into the Customer Programming mode to program an additional Key.

The DTC report from the PCM was never documented in any of the owner manuals, well rarely. They dropped the Fobik Customer Programming from the 2010 Owners manual, under that paragraph now, it just says to see an authorized dealer to have the key programmed.

Can anyone with a 2010 M/Y confirm they have lost these features a well?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
2010 and newer Jeep and Dodge products with Fobik type "keys" do not have OBP (On Board Programing) feature for making duplicates. You can't program keys yourself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
amazing easter egg. the oil filter "funnel" bolted to the frame

grabbed some mopar oil filters and mobil 1 for the commander yesterday. this is my first time doing oil on the commander so i was hunting for the oil filter while the oil was draining. found it at the front and was kinda pissed that it was going to leak all over the skidplate and ac lines. lo and behold theyre is a plastic piece that acts like a funnel so it doesnt run all over the place.

#winning

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Here's a pic of it ... I took mine off when I covered to the PurePower Filter :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
2010 and newer Jeep and Dodge products with Fobik type "keys" do not have OBP (On Board Programing) feature for making duplicates. You can't program keys yourself.
And for the life of me, I can NOT figure out why they would drop this feature, other than to force you into the dealerships to pay $110 to have them spend 5 minutes to program a key. Well, they have to induct it in/out of service and do all the paper work, so it will be at least 30-45 minutes.

The Key Dance to read out DTC's in the EVIC does work. I was waiting for the EVIC to light up each time I turned the key to ON, and that would take to long to get it into the DTC reading mode. You just have to turn the key from "LOCK" to "ON" 3 times as fast as you can and it works.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Can anyone confirm that Chrysler dropped 2 of the biggest easter eggs for 2010 M/Y?

I've tried 2 dozen times, and have done this hundreds of times in my other Chrysler Vehicles;

For my 2010 Commander, the "Key Dance" will NOT produce any DTC report in the EVIC window or anywhere else.

As well, I've tried the Customer Programming Procedure for my new Fobik Key, with 2 valid working Fobiks. In fact, I only got one Fobik with the vehicle (used), bought 2 identical Fobiks and had one programmed by the dealer, planned on programming the 3rd myself.

Tried 2 dozen times, my 2010 Commander will NOT enter into the Customer Programming mode to program an additional Key.

The DTC report from the PCM was never documented in any of the owner manuals, well rarely. They dropped the Fobik Customer Programming from the 2010 Owners manual, under that paragraph now, it just says to see an authorized dealer to have the key programmed.

Can anyone with a 2010 M/Y confirm they have lost these features a well?
You can program your own key!? How? I just bought one off Ebay and need to cut it and program it. It would save me the $85 clams my dealer wants for the job. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I have 2010 and it will not show dtc codes t might be that I'm not switching the key fast enough.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You can program your own key!? How? I just bought one off Ebay and need to cut it and program it. It would save me the $85 clams my dealer wants for the job. Cheers.
They removed the Feature on many Chrysler Vehicles starting in 2009, I think it was 2010 for the Jeep Commander. I know my 2010 won't do it, tried it 3 dozen times. I'm NOT sure about 2009 Commander's.

This is for the later RKE Fobik (2008-2010?), NOT the early transponder key with built in remote. People get the two mixed up all the time.

RKE FOBIK

POD KEY (same as RKE FOBIK, except no remote and a key blade to open locks)

I have this POD Key as well, it works very nicely, a little smaller than the oversized FOBIK, but still huge and way bigger than a regular key.

Chrysler has a procedure to program remotes yourself, google it, I don't know it off hand, but this is for earlier remotes, the RKE FOBIK you can't program the remote portion yourself, it all programs together.

You want to get the key cut first, the RKE FOBIK System will only allow 8 keys to be programmed to your vehicle, after 8 no more will be programmed. The number varies from vehicle to vehicle. So if you loose 8 keys, you stuck, no more can be programmed that will work. I can't believe the vehicle will NO longer be useable, I've even written Chrysler and got no answer as too what happens if you loose all the keys and can't program more. I suspect all the RKE equipment in the vehicle has to be replaced and programmed by the dealer to reset it, and I'm sure they'll charge you at least $2k to do it. So don't waste programming one of your 8 keys on a key the locksmith messes up and you have to throw away.

Google the Procedure, I'm doing it from memory, and probably got something wrong.

Once a key is programmed it can never be reprogrammed for another vehicle. So you can only use new RKE FOBIK keys, never a used one. So hopefully you didn't get ripped off with an ebay seller selling a used key.

1. You need to valid working keys
  2. You insert the 1st valid key and turn it to on
  3. Within 8 sec you have to remove the 1st key and insert the 2nd valid key and turn it to on
  4. Wait until you hear a chime and Security light lights on the instrument cluster.
  5. Remove the 2nd valid and insert the unprogrammed key and wait until you get a chime, and the security light to go out, it should be programmed and work with the vehicle.
  6. You may get messages in the EVIC giving you status of the programming
Again, google, I know I probably got something wrong in there.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I have 2010 and it will not show dtc codes t might be that I'm not switching the key fast enough.
NOT doing it fast enough was my problem aslo. You only have 5 sec, it might be as little as 3 sec to do the whole cycle.

I kept waiting for all the dash lights and the EVIC to light up each time, and it took more than a full second for all of that to light up. You don't need to wait for all the lights and EVIC and waiting will put you over the total time to do the procedure.

Also remember, you have to it precisely, NOT more or Less, or it won't run either.

Rember, LOCK is the full counter clockwise position, where you can remove the key (it locks the steering column and trans).
ON is the Position that the ignition is on, NOT start where you start the motor.

So, start with the key out of the ignition.
  1. Insert the key
  2. Turn it from LOCK/ON/LOCK/ON/LOCK/ON as fast as you can. (It has to be less than 3 sec for the whole procedure.)
  3. Stopping with it at the ON position and wait.
If you mess it up, remove the key and wait a second before starting over.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
They removed the Feature on many Chrysler Vehicles starting in 2009...
Thanks for the detailed reply, Mongo. I have to apologize for wasting your time. I only have one key and it's the transponder kind, not the kind you described in your reply. I should have made that clear. Man, I hate giving my money to the dealer! I suppose, this time, it can't be helped.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Thanks for verifying this for me. It was driving me nuts. I have a code reader that is 3 years old and wanted to see what the car showed. I am anxious to try it..This is great!

NOT doing it fast enough was my problem aslo. You only have 5 sec, it might be as little as 3 sec to do the whole cycle.

I kept waiting for all the dash lights and the EVIC to light up each time, and it took more than a full second for all of that to light up. You don't need to wait for all the lights and EVIC and waiting will put you over the total time to do the procedure.

Also remember, you have to it precisely, NOT more or Less, or it won't run either.

Rember, LOCK is the full counter clockwise position, where you can remove the key (it locks the steering column and trans).
ON is the Position that the ignition is on, NOT start where you start the motor.

So, start with the key out of the ignition.
  1. Insert the key
  2. Turn it from LOCK/ON/LOCK/ON/LOCK/ON as fast as you can. (It has to be less than 3 sec for the whole procedure.)
  3. Stopping with it at the ON position and wait.
If you mess it up, remove the key and wait a second before starting over.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
System will only allow 8 keys to be programmed to your vehicle, after 8 no more will be programmed. The number varies from vehicle to vehicle. So if you loose 8 keys, you stuck, no more can be programmed that will work. I can't believe the vehicle will NO longer be useable, I've even written Chrysler and got no answer as too what happens if you loose all the keys and can't program more.
With most vehicles it's possible to re-flash the computer and it will now accept 8 new keys (or what ever is the limit) re-flashing requires specialized equipment with some most cars

... if the owner still has at least ONE key though there is a work around using aftermarket keyblanks to add an unlimited amount of keys, the existing key can be cloned to an aftermarket blank with specialized equipment made for this purpose, I have equipment that clones many different vehicle keys.

With some vehicles i can just clone the key with out the vehicle present, but other require the cloneable code to be "sniffed" only while the exiting key is turned to ON so the vehicle must be present in those cases.

The dealers will NOT tell you (out of ignorance or malice?) that after market cloneable keys are available to solve the "limited keys" problem ....

For most cars the clonable keys sell for $75 each ... but some GM's for examnple they are just $49

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
With most vehicles it's possible to re-flash the computer and it will now accept 8 new keys (or what ever is the limit) re-flashing requires specialized equipment with some most cars
Is that equipment the DRBIII/StarScan/WiTech tool the dealer uses? The dealer can do this though?

... if the owner still has at least ONE key though there is a work around using aftermarket keyblanks to add an unlimited amount of keys, the existing key can be cloned to an aftermarket blank with specialized equipment made for this purpose, I have equipment that clones many different vehicle keys.

With some vehicles i can just clone the key with out the vehicle present, but other require the cloneable code to be "sniffed" only while the exiting key is turned to ON so the vehicle must be present in those cases.

The dealers will NOT tell you (out of ignorance or malice?) that after market cloneable keys are available to solve the "limited keys" problem ....
I looked, well just for Chrysler RKE FOBIK's, I didn't see anything like you were talking about. Could it be that only Chrsyler's system doesn't allow the clonable keys? I got my FOBIK's off ebay and a couple of POD keys from a Locksmith supply.

I'm in a semi-rural area, I called a couple of locksmiths in my area, like you can image they are small shops, work out of a van, they all told me they couldn't do it any cheaper than the Dealer. They said they had a machine that used tokens they purchase for each use, to make copies, that it ends up costing more than the most dealers, they're really for the folks that get stuck on the road with NO key at all. Perhaps I would have to drive up by the city to find a big locksmith that have the tools and supplies you're talking about?

For most cars the clonable keys sell for $75 each ... but some GM's for examnple they are just $49
Beats what Chrysler Dealers are charging, no less than $150 for a replacement, often more. Then often as much as a $100 to program it, while you sit in the waiting room for nearly an hour. (This is what you expect for a new set of tires, NOT getting a copy of key made).

I saw a post online (doing google searchs for the keys) from someone claiming to work for a company that makes these keys and that they sell them to Chrysler for $8 a unit, (of course that is hearsay, and should be treated that way). If you ever open a FOBIK, it does NOT look any more complex or expensive than a $5 portable radio. RFID chips are used in disposable packaging, so I have trouble believing the cost of the manufacturing/raw material for the FOBIK demand a $150 price tag, something is amiss here.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I posted last night but it must not have gone through.

SO I checked and the chip in the 2010 and 2011 Commanders that use the Fobik and Pod and style keys is the same chip as the earlier models (the Phillips Crypto 46 chip) or what we call the "Tan Head" key because they all used to have alight brown or tan coloured plastic bow.

Chrysler Dodge Jeep purposely disabled on board programming as a security measure (supposedly) ... apparently there was an number of incidents of vehicles being stolen with operating keys.

How? All it takes is a test drive customer having access to both keys, normally this would have to involve a staff member, as the spare key is not supposed to go on test drives, however the method both keys go with the crook on a test drive.

Nows with both key present the "test driver" armed only with the instructions in the owners manual, no key machine needed and nothing except a Pod key blank available from ebay, can make a spare key and return later to steal the vehicle, apparently some crooks were patient enough to wait until it was sold to the customer, deflecting any suspicion away from the accomplice at the dealer.

On recovery of the stolen cars investigation showed the third key in the vehicles computer, and insurance claim refusal brought the issue to court.

SO ... the insurance companies pressed the manufactures to remove on board programming, with Jeep Dodge Chrysler at that point no-one can make a key without access to the PIN Code and when it's given out there's an audit trail.

Now the after market has jumped their security measure as the keys can be cloned, the barrier there is cost the equipment takes some skill to use and costs in the $2000 to $3000 range.

That's the story anyway, who knows maybe they just wanted the key cutting fees, it probably adds several million dollars a year to their service profits.

Anyway to answer your question Mongo ... the cost of the chips, yes the chip itself is cheap, probably under a dollar manufacturing cost, the manufacturer would not pay more than $5 for them add a key blade for the Pod style and they probably pay another $2 maximum.

The Dealer Scan tool cannot re-flash the computer, it's more of a hacker job, they use custom made equipment and have to access the a select chip in the computer itself in some cases. The dealer can't do this and in most cases would not even know it's possible, but the top automotive Locksmiths all know someone they can send computers to to be re-flashed if it's possible.

The machines are expensive and the "token" ones are the most affordable, it's tough in rural areas (like where I like as well) to make them pay, so prices are often just as high as the dealer, the machine I use is a clone tool and does almost all the different cars, it's made in Spain and completely aftermarket and does not hook up to the vehicle.

But for some cars like '11 & '10 Commanders the vehicle must be present to clone the key as it sniffs the code when it's being transmitted from the car to the key, the ignition is cycled on and off several times to get the whole code, then the key is brought back to the shop and the machine sets it in somehow. (A lot of how it actually works is over my head :) )

Hope that helps I kind of rambled on there a bit, any questions fire away I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Thanks Yeggster,

Yea sadly, once again, the dealerships screw up and the customer is punished while the dealerships end up being rewarded. When is Chrysler going to figure out if they don't get tough with their dealerships and get them under control, its is going to be the dealerships that drive them out of business.

If I was CEO of Chrysler, I would be looking into starting a program to equip/train/certify independent shops for Chrysler Vehicles, and alternative sales outlets for vehicles. Put the fear of God into the Dealerships.

Chrysler is part of the problem, when they are charging 10 times or more of a fair price for the RKE FOBIK.

Yeggster said:
The Dealer Scan tool cannot re-flash the computer, it's more of a hacker job, they use custom made equipment and have to access the a select chip in the computer itself in some cases. The dealer can't do this and in most cases would not even know it's possible, but the top automotive Locksmiths all know someone they can send computers to to be re-flashed if it's possible.
OK, you've lost me here on this. Are you talking about the scenario where a vehicle that has lost all its keys and has reached its 8 key limit, and thus can NOT be reprogrammed?

So the dealer would NOT be able to do this, but some locksmiths have access to 3rd Party Equipment that has figured out a hack into the system to basically reset it and allow another set of 8 keys to be produced?

My speculation was, the dealer would be able to fix this, BUT, he would have to order new Electronic Control Modules that control the key and enablign the vehicle (in think its the WIN) and install/configure/program them. Which would probably come up to a pretty penny at dealer rates for parts and labor.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
OK, you've lost me here on this. Are you talking about the scenario where a vehicle that has lost all its keys and has reached its 8 key limit, and thus can NOT be reprogrammed?
Yes that's what i meant

So the dealer would NOT be able to do this, but some locksmiths have access to 3rd Party Equipment that has figured out a hack into the system to basically reset it and allow another set of 8 keys to be produced?
Exactly

My speculation was, the dealer would be able to fix this, BUT, he would have to order new Electronic Control Modules that control the key and enablign the vehicle (in think its the WIN) and install/configure/program them. Which would probably come up to a pretty penny at dealer rates for parts and labor.
Again exactly right ... they HAVE to have a fix for it and like everything else the dealer does that means "MORE PARTS!" toss a new computer in and its ready to go .... at a price :(

·
Registered
809 Posts
And once you've reprogrammed your new keys and can drive the vehicle again, I found another Easter Egg sitting right next to the hood:

OEM antenna mast doubles as a whisker- exactly the same height as my OEM cross bars. No more poking my head out the sunroof every time I pull into a shallow parking garage!

·
Registered
37 Posts
We haven't come across any gee whiz things yet but then we have only had the Commander for a few weeks.

So far:

- Love the 2 person settings tied to each of our remotes
- Love the rain sensors
- Not a fan of the auto-brights
- Wishing the 6 disc changer had an Ipod integration system. For now we just have MP3s on CDs
- Love the remote start

When we first got it I kept hearing this clink coming from the back area like something was loose but I could not find it. Briefly looked under the seats and could not find anything, looked in the jack area and could not find anything. Finally looked under the 3rd row seating and found the clink. previous owners somehow lost a rock and a short pyrex bowl under the 3rd row seats. Accel and decel along with some turns made them clink together.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I was trying to see if I could get a little better performance and playing with all the buttons. Found out that if you put it in "Tow/Haul" mode it disables the MDS. I had added the LED to let me know when it was in MDS mode and could not get it to come on when in "Tow Haul" I have the Factory tow package.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Folding mirrors/tilting mirrors

To fit my jeep in the "garage" (more like a big closet) of the house we just moved into I have to fold the mirrors. When I backed out, I was wondering if the tilting mirror feature would engage and if so, would the mirror tilting mechanism be damaged. Happily, the answer is: no. The tilt on reverse is disabled while the mirrors are folded in.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts