Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there forum members. I wanted to share a project I did today on my 2006 Commander. I needed to see better when backing up due to tint windows and dimming night vision :) so I added on an LED work light. I wanted to keep this simple and cheap, and I think you will agree I met the goals.

It comes on automatically when I shift to reverse, removes easily, and does not disturb any stock wiring or computers, etc. Total cost is under $40. The light is from the local "Irish" auto parts store for 25 bucks. It claims to have 1200 lumens, plenty bright! The 7 pin trailer light adaptor is from the big box store for 9 bucks. I had a short piece of auto style wire and some connectors already.

Mount the light to the flat steel safety chain point on your receiver hitch. Extend the light wires to be about 16 inches long. Connect to the center pin (reverse light) with the light's power in wire. Connect the light's ground to the pin's ground. Tape it all up. Plug in the adaptor. You are set to go. I will add some of the black flex wire conduit next time I go to the auto store. Pictures attached.:)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are welcome.

Thanks for the replies. We took it out for spin yesterday after dark and WOW! 1200 lumens from an LED light makes a car's head lights look weak. It is bright!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great idea! I'll consider this for my XK. Backing a travel trailer at night could have just gotten alot easier. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts