Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever here of this working??

Somone on craigslist is selling a supercharger that came off a 2007 Shelby GT500 Eaton M122H supercharger, intake, thermostat, pully, belt, elbow spark plugs.....

claims it will work on a Dodge or Jeep 4.7?

The price is GOOD - $1500

·
Registered
288 Posts
what are you going to do about tuning the vehicle? Wouldn't you run lean all the time. There is a company out of texas that deals only with 4.7L. Way he explained it to me, was, I would have to send them my ECM. They would customize my software. I was looking at new heads, cam, intake manifold plus they would send a programmer back with it so you could use it for DTC codes and other stuff.

·
Registered
104 Posts
ok - if it's a kit off the Shelby, none of the brackets , pulleys, belts etc will work.

you will have a lot of custom bracket and hose making to do before you even get started. Coolant lines, intake, MAF routing, intake temp senors,

Then you would have to address tuning - air, fuel, and timing.... Might be doable with an off teh shelf tuner, but don't knwo if anyone has tried it yet..

Basically? Unless you've done this before on other vehicles, you're probably in over your head... (or expect to pay a lot of cash to a local shop to get soething that may never be reliable)

Edit - if you're set on going this route.. at least start with something similiar... http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/dodge/47ramsohc/47ramsohc.htm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah all that said...not for me! :)

I am more intrigued than considering this a reality....though I do love power...especially forced induction.

·
Registered
104 Posts
fair enough... Not trying to squash your dreams.. I'd love to see it done.

Just trying to put a realistic spin on it!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
fair enough... Not trying to squash your dreams.. I'd love to see it done.

Just trying to put a realistic spin on it!
Yea, even with a proper kit designed specifically for your vehical, something big like a supercharger is going to have some drawbacks and often even the best kit will result in the motor being less reliable than before, little things go wrong here or there, small things break.

If your Commander is a Hobby car and you have a different "Daily Driver", I'd say go for it, but if your Commander is your Daily Driver, something like a super charger kit can make you late for work a couple days a year, if NOT more.

Like said, the blower he has from his Mustang might be the right one to use for a Commander, but nothing else that goes along with it will work, you would have to purchase OR create from scratch the rest of the kit which is a lot of work and designing, NOT to mention an intake manifold. Plus if you have to custom tune from scratch yourself, and don't have a lot of experience, its very possible you could mess up the tune bad enough you could damage the motor badly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a Powerdyne supercharger that I saved from my Bronco when I upgraded to the Commander. I have intentions of one day converting this for use on the Commander, but the big issue is fuel management.

The Bronco had Mass Air Flow, which basically means it measured the amount of air coming in and set the required amount of fuel accordingly. This meant that as long as I could get enough fuel to engine, the computer would take care of delivering the right amount.

I don't believe the 5.7 Hemi I know have works that way. I think it works from maps based on throttle position, load, and who knows what else. This would all have to be remodeled in the software.

That said, I believe some of the tuners, like the Diablo (if memory serves) allows you to do this.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Air Ram is actually developing an adapter to run the Eaton's off of the 03-04 cobra's, it's in the final stages according to their website. They just have to figure out how to align the pulley's then it'll be sent to get tuned...

·
Registered
319 Posts
which would open up the door to order the kenne bell line of supercharging as well!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Air ram has released the adapters...550.00 It would be sweet to have a roots blower sticking outta the hood of a Commander, especially one that has an svt logo on it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Air ram has released the adapters...550.00 It would be sweet to have a roots blower sticking outta the hood of a Commander, especially one that has an svt logo on it!
Our AIR RAM INTAKE ADAPTER PLATES allow us to mount the Eaton M112 from the 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra 4V 4.6L engine to any 1999-2011 4.7L engine.

"PROJECT YELLOW JACKET"

Here we have the Eaton M112 Mounted to a 2002 4.7L Single Cab Ram. He also has our AIR RAM PERFORMANCE 4.7L Race Ported Heads.

This engine is running and currently being tuned. Click on the image or visit our website to follow this build.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
www.AIRRAM.com

·
Registered
319 Posts
This is sweet :eyemouth:. I wonder if this would void my lifetime warranty....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts