Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,
It's my first time posting in here ;)
anyway, i saw some Performance Chip on ebay that say it can add 60+ HP can this be true ? !!!
too bad i can't but link's
this is the Item Number :[removed]
Did anyone try it or it just? 60 HP+ :confused: !!!!!!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
read the reviews.....not good. most say shipped fast.

rec'd "chip"; not a chip at all-hope it works.

Not a chip just a 53 cent resitor to jumper your IAT sensor

Fast shipping.. Item wasn't what we thought it was

I took the part to 2 dodge dealerships they stated it was not a perfomance chip

easy transaction.Very high with shipping cost!wow!$6.95 to mail a 41cent letter

·
Registered
577 Posts
That is pure garbage, avoid it like the plague ! ! !

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Just came home from a trip to Sacramento California, wanted to test out my Jet Stage II chip and I tracked mileage out there with the chip installed, then took the chip out and drove home without it. Plain fact on mileage alone the chip is not worth it.

It does give you a better hole shot but does not make any difference in average miles per gallon on a long trip.

·
Registered
82 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
Just came home from a rip to Sacramento California, wanted to test out my Jet Stage II chip and I tracked mileage out there with the chip installed, then took the chip out and drove home without it. Plain fact on milage alone the chip is not worth it.

It does give you a better hole shot but does not make any difference in avarage miles per gallon on a long trip.
Good information - thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
How fast were you driving. Mine at 55 is at 2000 rpms. I thought it would be a lot lower but I think when the MDS kicks in that is should be around 1500 to 1600 and would really see 18 mpg.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bedousim said:
Hi,
It's my first time posting in here ;)
anyway, i saw some Performance Chip on ebay that say it can add 60+ HP can this be true ? !!!
too bad i can't but link's
this is the Item Number :[removed]
Did anyone try it or it just? 60 HP+ :confused: !!!!!!
I bought one off ebay for 8 bucks including shipping to see what it was. It's just a resistor that plugs into the air intake sencor plug. Don't do anything for mileage but did get more snap and throttle response.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I did not track my RPM's so I cannot address that issue. As far as MPG is concerned there was no noticable difference.

However, today when I stepped on the gas pedal I did notice the lose of power from a dead stop compared to when the chip was installed. The difference is VERY noticable and is enough to cause me to re-install when I get the time.

I can do some RPM measurements if you have a specific comparison you are looking for, I have a road trip planned to the Grand Canyon on the 19th.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
BigRed said:
49er, just out of curiosity what octane did you put in with the chip?
Always run premium

·
Registered
39 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
Always run premium
Try a lower octane, and it will probably increase your mileage! I don't remember the chemistry (my dad works in the energy field consulting for the big Oil co's) but it was explained to me by a Petroleum engineer! Tested and it actually works, switched from 91 octane to 87 and got a 3mpg increase. play with it, test it out for yourself. The misconseption everyone thinks is that the higher octane will lead to better fuel consumption.

Interesting link I just stumbled upon looking for some info for you guys.

http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/EXECDIV/TECHASMT/ecep/trans/b/b.htm

Try it out and you'll be surprised.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
cool articles. i have noticed this before. i always run low octane. and about once or twice a year i run a injector cleaner through the system. i use seafoam in the tank about once a year. it will really work wonders on keeping your upper engine clean.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I will try it, have nothing to lose and MPG to gain. But the chip still has to go back in, the sound of the engine is even meaner with the chip.

·
Registered
160 Posts
What long term affects could this do the engine if any? Usually to gain HP from one component, the engine has to give it up from somewhere else!?!?!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I have not heard of any down side, I am sure the dealer would find one at warranty time but it can easly be removed before taken to the shop.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
a49erFootballFan said:
But the chip still has to go back in, the sound of the engine is even meaner with the chip.
:D Hmmm someone else with my reasoning skills... lol

·
Registered
160 Posts
I ordered and installed one of these "chips" from ebay for $9. They sent me a small resistor, looks like something I could pick up at Radio Shack. All they say is to remove the IAT sensor and stick one end of each of the resistor into the IAT.

I can definitely feel a difference in acceleration. My mpg has improved by 1 mpg city and 2 mpg hwy.

After installing the resistor, my CEL is on. I'm checking with the ebayer to see what I can do. He claims he will fix ALL issues or money back. We'll see what he can do.

All this for $9...

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Interesting, The postage for the Jet Stage II was more than $9

·
Registered
163 Posts
djmaro76 said:
I ordered and installed one of these "chips" from ebay for $9. They sent me a small resistor, looks like something I could pick up at Radio Shack. All they say is to remove the IAT sensor and stick one end of each of the resistor into the IAT.

I can definitely feel a difference in acceleration. My mpg has improved by 1 mpg city and 2 mpg hwy.

After installing the resistor, my CEL is on. I'm checking with the ebayer to see what I can do. He claims he will fix ALL issues or money back. We'll see what he can do.

All this for $9...
He's not going to be able to do nothing. The ECM is set to read the IAT and its normal levels and that resistor is really garbage. Dont use it anymore. Im thinking on trying a Jet Chip because at least a CEL wont come up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts