Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short:
Our insurance company here in Bolivia required we replace the original alarm system on our 2006 4.7l 65 year anniversary edition. The installers messed up with the electronics and the ECU is now gone eg. check engine light on and gear box in limp home mode. The new alarm battery was apparently feeding back to the circuit and killed the ECU. My mechanic took the alarm system out and it looks like a home work project of a 5-year-old. Court, justice and Bolivia is an equation that doesn't have a rational solution. So I need to fix this issue myself.

I've been looking to get a replacement and they are pretty expensive at 500 USD or more. I did however find ECUs for 2007 models at around 200 USD. Are these compatible?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Are you positive the ECU (technically its the Powertrain Control Module PCM) is damaged?

The PCM has an immobilizer feature to prevent car theft, and if it interacts with modules that do NOT identify themselves properly, will result in the PCM shutting itself down and refusing to start.

If you've restored the vehicle to its original state, and it still won't start, then you may be right, they fried the PCM/ECU.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes,
my mechanic verified this by switching the PCM with another from another car. It has worked fine for a couple of days with no problems - except it doesn't have sequential shifting. With the original module the car starts and runs, but with only one gear available and the check engine light comes on.

Are you positive the ECU (technically its the Powertrain Control Module PCM) is damaged?

The PCM has an immobilizer feature to prevent car theft, and if it interacts with modules that do NOT identify themselves properly, will result in the PCM shutting itself down and refusing to start.

If you've restored the vehicle to its original state, and it still won't start, then you may be right, they fried the PCM/ECU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts