Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post. Im not a salesman. I found this site when i was trying to make my own electric turbo instead of the traditional turbo which runs off exaust. Apparently someone beat me to the punch. The only down side to this boost is that it only comes on during WOP (wide open throttle for you lamens ;) Any how, just wanted to see if anyone has installed one of these on any of their vehicles. It's price isn't too bad, but not cheap enough to go out and grab one and find out it sucks.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
This is my first post. Im not a salesman. I found this site when i was trying to make my own electric turbo instead of the traditional turbo which runs off exaust. Apparently someone beat me to the punch. The only down side to this boost is that it only comes on during WOP (wide open throttle for you lamens ;) Any how, just wanted to see if anyone has installed one of these on any of their vehicles. It's price isn't too bad, but not cheap enough to go out and grab one and find out it sucks.
As far as I know, no one on this forum has any type of turo on thier commander.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
electric turbos are a joke. theres no way you can produce the amount of air and pressure a real blower or turbo can.

search the internet, they do not work, they are a gimmick.

no one has installed a turbo on a commander besides the factory on the diesels.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
:spam::hatespammers:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
How do you know its a spamer?

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
Just a guess.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Technicaly an electric powered turbo is really a super charger .. the ones I looked at produce only a tiny 1/2 pound of boost and draw a whoppping 100 amp load.

I doubt thesde thing would have any apreciable net power gain .. once the battery has drained down the altenator will be sucking more power off the engine then the 1/2 pound of boost was producing

The other thing is, if the Commander has a Hemi .. does it NEED anymore power? If it dosen't have a Hemi just trade up, if you need more power :)

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
:spam::hatespammers:
I think you are correct. The first post made and he wants to sell us on a product that a search of our forum would have produced a discussion thread but never mentions he has a Commander. Time will tell, I am betting he never comes back.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
there are two ways of getting power

gears

forced induction

anything else is a waste of money for the horsepower you create. Just my Humble opinion.

*an exhaust system will give 5hp and cost ~$500

*an intake system will give you ~5 hp and cost ~$350

*electronic tuner gizmos only give you ~10hp. and cost ~$500

so all in all you are making ~20 hp and you spent ~$1350

you might as well invest in a used rebuilt turbo. run it as a remote turbo system, then run your lines back up to the engine. run 5-7 lbs of boost, wham, bam, thank-you mama. you would probably spend the same amount and get 50+ hp.

·
Registered
319 Posts
For another 4700.00 you could have a real Stage 3 turbo from STS, and gain 150 to ??? whatever PSI you feel comfortable boosting from the in cab tuner, (6-8 PSI is your safest bet on a stock motor) the possibilities are endless with a REAL turbo!! Those electric ones are just like those corny a** chips off of Ebay, they don't do a damn thing! :eyemouth:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lots of help

:grim:Jeez, i thought I would get some insight not riducle. Apparently not. I wantted to add some pep to my jeep, I only have the 3.7 engine, but didnt want the big price tag of a supercharger or a whole bunch of mods... and if anyone actually looked at the electric boost it produces almost 2lbs of boost at wide open throttle... This would not drain your battery or alternator unless u drove around everywhere with your foot firmly planted on the floor at all times. And for some of you who think I'm some salesman, I actually use the searches on this forum and have not had to post anything since many of my questions are already asked or answered... I have not tried this type of boost nor have i heard anyone using it, just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone has... Jeez ..thanks for your confidance:soapbox:

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Don't take it personally, as you have seen from reading our posts, we are driving a Jeep not a race car, the supercharger you are discussing would serve no purpose for most of our members.

Now if you want to go off roading we can make lots of helpful suggestions.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
sometimes the truth hurts. don't waste your money. do some searching on the internet. all you will find are sad stories of crappy electric turbos that just waste money.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
:grim:Jeez, i thought I would get some insight not riducle. Apparently not. I wantted to add some pep to my jeep, I only have the 3.7 engine, but didnt want the big price tag of a supercharger or a whole bunch of mods... and if anyone actually looked at the electric boost it produces almost 2lbs of boost at wide open throttle... This would not drain your battery or alternator unless u drove around everywhere with your foot firmly planted on the floor at all times. And for some of you who think I'm some salesman, I actually use the searches on this forum and have not had to post anything since many of my questions are already asked or answered... I have not tried this type of boost nor have i heard anyone using it, just wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone has... Jeez ..thanks for your confidance:soapbox:
Do not stress over the spam accusations because sadly we see things like this often. Other forums see it as well. I know this thread has been open for a while and there was no reply from the OP its easy for us to make the mistake. As for a solution to your problem I'm sorry to say its not easy. Most will tell you that the 3.7L is a DOG!!! The numerically lower gear set in the V6 is great for getting MPG's but stinks for power. If you want to put a little getty-up into it I suggest doing what getlost has noted and change the gears. The gears will probably produce the most drastic difference in power but expect an equal loss of MPG's.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Sorry you weren't welcomed, but it did look a little fishy. You didn't mention that you owned a Commander or anything about it.

Anyway, welcome. I'm glad you came back and mentioned your Commander. If you do put on an electric boost, please let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Here’s an ‘’electric turbo’’ on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Electric-Supercharger-Boost-Turbo-Nitrous-3-Air-Filter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem140296900816QQitemZ140296900816QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I wonder how many people get ‘’sucked into’’ (Pardon the pun) these stupid things? It’s a heater blower for cripe’s sake. The running engine will raise the blower’s RPM while a vacuum formed behind it.

I’ve done three from-scratch turbocharger setups, and helped a buddy install a Paxton belt driven centrifugal blower into a Chevy pickup with a 454. I also wired a hotrod of another buddy who had a 426 Hemi and a Detroit Diesel 671 Roots blower on top of that. The Hemi would run about 15 PSI, and used racing fuel, the 454 was set to 7 PSI max and runs pump gas.

Trust me, 0.5 lbs. of boost would be just about worthless, and that would assume a REAL electric blower and not a heater blower gimmick such as the eBay scam above. (It would need a starter sized motor supplied by #2 battery cable to do any good) To make any real power, (and it would be considered a ‘’mild’’ setup using regular pump gas instead of premium, and no other engine mods) you need 5 PSI in the manifold at least. Because it’s forced induction, things get radical fast when the pressure goes up due to charge air heating etc. Anything over 10 PSI, and you’re getting into intercoolers, beefing up the engine’s bottom end, detonation control on the ignition system, milled copper O-rings on the cylinder heads, and the like.

The best bet would be a Paxton for several reasons. Its belt drive system is well engineered to prevent its destroying itself during fast acceleration. (Slip clutches etc.) It can generally be bolted onto anything. The centrifugal compressor is not a positive type like the Roots blower, so backfires can’t hurt it. It will also freewheel when not used, and a failed one won’t kill the engine. (Unless it parts out and sends broken compressor blades into the manifold, arrgh!)

Turbos do work great, but heat problems can be extreme to deal with since the exhaust runs through its turbine. They also ‘lag’ due to having to spin up first under acceleration. (The Paxton uses the same type compressor, except it’s belt driven)

Roots blowers do NOT allow anything back through it, and a bad backfire can rip it right off the engine by shearing off all the bolts. They also have to continuously run; if the belt breaks, the engine chokes to death. The one good thing about a Roots though, the boost is INSTANT when you step on it. Your neck will get snapped off if you don’t have good headrests. :D

There is one more type, and that’s an exhaust blower. Those are generally used on motorhomes. They work o… kay, but are mostly for reducing exhaust back pressure rather than boosting HP. They cannot increase the cylinder charge pressure because the exhaust valves are closed when the intake cycle begins. (They can help scavenge the exhaust gasses during any valve overlap, but that’s minimal)

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
i bet if you went to Lowes or Home Deemployment you could find one in the Heating and Air Conditioning Department
You could get an electric leaf blower then hook it into the intake and wire it in to a power inverter. That would be a serious blower.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You could get an electric leaf blower then hook it into the intake and wire it in to a power inverter. That would be a serious blower.
I've actually seen a video on youtube of someone doing that to a car on a dyno.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts