Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, tried searching the forum for any related topics but came up empty. My electric radiator fan quit. I bypassed everything and ran 12v directly to the leads and got nothing. I bought a replacement fan which arrived quickly, but it didn't come with the resistor. I ordered the resistor separately, but we're going on 10 days and it hasn't even shipped yet. I need to get her functional for the July 4th weekend.

My resistor seems to be in pretty bad shape. I'm not sure how these things work exactly, but I suspect the hotter they get, the more "juice" they give to the fan. I'm wondering if the corroded condition of my resistor kept the fan running at high speed, which possibly lead to its failure? I'm thinking about putting it on the new fan and seeing what happens. If it works, maybe I'll just cancel the order for the replacement, or swap it out when the replacement arrives. I'd rather put the new one on before I put the fan in, since I won't have much wiggle room once the fan is bolted in, but I'm running out of time.

Any thoughts on the condition of this thing (gotta love those PA winters)? With a little WD-40 I was able to get the bolt out so I should be able to get it into the new fan.
Wood Religious item Cross Font Lock

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he walks through it in this video pretty well

Thanks @patf111 but this video is about the blower motor resistor. The resistor I'm referring to, and posted the photo of, is for the electric fan on the radiator, which I believe only the 3.7 and 4.7 models have.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,881 Posts
You should try an auto parts store or a dealer. Possibly in stock so you can pick it up immediately.

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Hey folks, tried searching the forum for any related topics but came up empty. My electric radiator fan quit. I bypassed everything and ran 12v directly to the leads and got nothing. I bought a replacement fan which arrived quickly, but it didn't come with the resistor. I ordered the resistor separately, but we're going on 10 days and it hasn't even shipped yet. I need to get her functional for the July 4th weekend.

My resistor seems to be in pretty bad shape. I'm not sure how these things work exactly, but I suspect the hotter they get, the more "juice" they give to the fan. I'm wondering if the corroded condition of my resistor kept the fan running at high speed, which possibly lead to its failure? I'm thinking about putting it on the new fan and seeing what happens. If it works, maybe I'll just cancel the order for the replacement, or swap it out when the replacement arrives. I'd rather put the new one on before I put the fan in, since I won't have much wiggle room once the fan is bolted in, but I'm running out of time.

Any thoughts on the condition of this thing (gotta love those PA winters)? With a little WD-40 I was able to get the bolt out so I should be able to get it into the new fan. View attachment 44355
@tankman67 ;

I'm somewhat saavy with electrical wiring, but by no means, am I an expert.

I think that your resistor doesn't look all that terrible;

It's that rusty clamp, that's holding it in place, that's all jacked up;

If you can somehow manage to loosen that rusty bolt and (very carefully) pry that rusty clamp loose, without damaging the resistor itself, you just might be able to re-use it.

The resistor, itself, doesn't look to be in bad shape. Its just missing that one little piece that chipped off of the end of it, but the wire connection where it's chipped, looks like it's still in tact;

Maybe spray that bolt with some liquid wrench & let it sit overnight, before you try & work it free.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
@patf111 Yep, I know what it looks like new, I ordered one, it just hasn't even shipped yet. I was hoping someone would have some knowledge about if it would still be functional in the condition it's in.

@rblapham I did check the three local auto parts stores, nobody has one. Doesn't seem like it was ever made as an aftermarket part. I didn't think to call the dealership. They can get one next day, for $160. I guess that helps make my decision. I'll put the old one on and hope the fan spins. If it doesn't, I'll get the one from the dealership. If it does, I'll wait for the one I ordered to arrive and swap it out.

@Big Blue Thanks! That's exactly the type of advice I was hoping for. I'll hopefully get this taken care of tonight and let everyone know how it worked out.

Thanks all!

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
@patf111 Yep, I know what it looks like new, I ordered one, it just hasn't even shipped yet. I was hoping someone would have some knowledge about if it would still be functional in the condition it's in.

@rblapham I did check the local 3 auto parts store, nobody has one. Doesn't seem like it was ever made as an aftermarket part. I didn't think to call the dealership. They can get one next day, for $160. I guess that helps make my decision. I'll put the old one on and hope the fan spins. If it doesn't, I'll get the one from the dealership. If it does, I'll wait for the one I ordered to arrive and swap it out.

@Big Blue Thanks! That's exactly the type of advice I was hoping for. I'll hopefully get this taken care of tonight and let everyone know how it worked out.

Thanks all!
Looking forward to the update @tankman67

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
Blue I am trusting the tag on that amazon storefront is what they say they are (Mopar store)

everything i have received is genuine mopar packaging and parts as far as I can tell. I do not say the shipping is any faster but at least i have a consolidated record of purchases..

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Blue I am trusting the tag on that amazon storefront is what they say they are (Mopar store)

everything i have received is genuine mopar packaging and parts as far as I can tell. I do not say the shipping is any faster but at least i have a consolidated record of purchases..
I wasn't disputing that @patf111

I was just presenting, what I thought, might be a speedier option.

I just ordered one from that other link I posted; We'll see how quickly it arrives.

I ordered a new fan too, just to have it on hand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to gently remove the old resistor and wiring harness and attach it to the new cooling fan assembly, then get it reinstalled. Not a bad job, but I had to disconnect the upper radiator house remove/reinstall. From there it was just a bunch of slowly wiggling around things. However, it doesn't seem to be kicking on (fuses checked and relays swapped, btw) probably for two reasons:

#1, at idle I don't think it'll get warm enough to kick on. Scan tool said engine temp only hit 196 degrees, so I guess the mechanical fan is enough at idle with ambient temp at 80 degrees today. Not sure what temp the Jeep tells the electric fan to kick in.

#2, my AC isn't working. The compressor doesn't seem to engage when I turn the AC on. I know I've had a slow refrigerant leak for some time. The dealer did a leak test and said it was in the rear evaporator, and wanted some astronomical amount to replace it. I chose a %50 can of refrigerant which last me about 2 years. I suspect the pressure might be too low now in the system to engage the compressor. I just ordered a 20oz can of refrigerant and will add that today and see what happens.

Long story short, the problem continues, but I might've just fixed one problem and found another. I'll keep ya posted.

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
i know its not best for the environment, but adding a can of 134 every so often to keep it cooling is way cheaper than chasing/fixing a leak, you can get ones with dye so you can shine a uv light and at least see where its leaking...

fingers crossed for you

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you can get ones with dye so you can shine a uv light and at least see where its leaking...
I was impatient and had the dealership diagnose it a couple years back. They said the rear lines were leaking. I think it's the same exact problem as described in this post: rear a/c block off or delete

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good news: I ran to Advanced to get the refrigerant. When I got home and put the Jeep in park, it was hot enough to where I observed the electric fan running.
Bad news: I started to put the refrigerant in, and observed a white cloud from the rear of the vehicle. I got down and looked, and sure enough it's leaking just above the exhaust

Update: buying this: A/C Block Off Kit for Rear Air 2006-10 Jeep COMMANDER W/ Block Style Fittings | eBay

Gonna try and block off the rear lines. I never use it anyway. Didn't really see a good how-to write-up on the forum so wish me luck!

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,881 Posts
Reactions: tankman67

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks @rblapham. I did see that post, and that's exactly why I chose option #1. I'm looking for cheap and easy! I was hoping for a more technical write-up; that's what I didn't see. If I manage to complete the job successfully, I'll take some pics and post a write-up here.

I did find a nice picture of where I need to add the blockers here in this post: Help loosing strange liquid and the Mopar part numbers (if you choose repair option #2) in this post: Help loosing strange liquid. This forum is great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts