Jeep Commander Forum banner

Electrical Gremlins help (2008 commander 4.7L)

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Big Blue 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

So cutting to the chase
  • Car doesn't want to shut off sometimes even removing the key all the way (has a key fob with the wireless start up)
  • Alongside this, sometimes (automatic) it won't allow you to come out of parking, but will work fine if you press the small brake bypass button under the small plastic cover.

Things I've tried
-Disassembling and cleaning the ignition switch
-Disconnecting the ignition switch while the car is on to see if it would kill the car (it didn't)
-Tried to clean all the fuse box connectors, and the connectors to the ecu
-Disassembled and cleaned the ipm, the way it was assembled left little way to check for burnt traces

Through all of this, I didnt notice anything really sticking out!

#3 ·
Hey everyone!

So cutting to the chase
  • Car doesn't want to shut off sometimes even removing the key all the way (has a key fob with the wireless start up)
  • Alongside this, sometimes (automatic) it won't allow you to come out of parking, but will work fine if you press the small brake bypass button under the small plastic cover.
Things I've tried
-Disassembling and cleaning the ignition switch
-Disconnecting the ignition switch while the car is on to see if it would kill the car (it didn't)
-Tried to clean all the fuse box connectors, and the connectors to the ecu
-Disassembled and cleaned the ipm, the way it was assembled left little way to check for burnt traces

Through all of this, I didn't notice anything really sticking out!
@Zaos; Welcome to the forum;

I would think some DTC's are showing up in the EVIC read out.

What year is your Commander? How many miles are on it? Which trim package do you have?

You can check for DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) by doing the key dance. To do the key dance,
You just have to turn the key from lock to run 3 times as fast as you can, no waiting for anything to light up in between, then just stop with the key at run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.