Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my Jeep has all of a sudden got this thing where it will automatically lock the doors out of the blue. I can unlock the doors to get in and then all of a sudden the doors will lock or I can lock them and start walking away and they will lock again, I know this because I have the horn set up to beep when locking. Today I was inside my work, hading for the door to leave for the day, and I hear the horn honk. Now I didn't lock the doors when i went into work and after 2 1/2 hrs they decided to lock??? I was a good 20 ft away inside a metal building and I know I didn't bump the button on the fob.

the other thing is that I have the headlights set on Auto, the other morning it was bright sunshine morning and the headlights and dash lights were on when they shouldn't have been, it was just to bright out.

Gremlins

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
my Jeep has all of a sudden got this thing where it will automatically lock the doors out of the blue. I can unlock the doors to get in and then all of a sudden the doors will lock or I can lock them and start walking away and they will lock again, I know this because I have the horn set up to beep when locking. Today I was inside my work, hading for the door to leave for the day, and I hear the horn honk. Now I didn't lock the doors when i went into work and after 2 1/2 hrs they decided to lock??? I was a good 20 ft away inside a metal building and I know I didn't bump the button on the fob.

the other thing is that I have the headlights set on Auto, the other morning it was bright sunshine morning and the headlights and dash lights were on when they shouldn't have been, it was just to bright out.

Gremlins
First thing I would say is check for any DTC's in the EVIC;

I'm just spit-balling here, but a few things that jump to mind is possibly a short or ground somewhere or maybe even just a blown fuse or a bad door switch. I'd also suggest that you check your battery to make sure it's putting out the proper voltage; Some times a low battery that's on it's way out will start to cause some strange issues, such as what you're describing.

This might help give you some ideas of where to look and/or what to check; It's a very good thread that gives an excellent break down of what fuses control what circuits & modules;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/10-electronics-nav-discussion/55657-junction-block-explained.html

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would I not be able to get DTC codes using the ignition method??

I've seen where you turn the key to the ON position and then off 3 times, also I've seen 5 times, but still no DTC codes. What am I doing wrong??

Maybe I'll stop at an Autozone and see if they can do a scan, I think they will do it for free

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried the ignition trick to get the codes nearly 20 times and still can't get the codes to come up, I'm also fearing I'm going to screw up my ignition if I keep this up

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
I've tried the ignition trick to get the codes nearly 20 times and still can't get the codes to come up, I'm also fearing I'm going to screw up my ignition if I keep this up
I'd suggest either buying a OBD II scanner - or going to a shop and have them pull your stored codes, before you create more problems.

Also, did you ever check your battery?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had a much harder time getting the DTCs after the ignition switch recall was done. Now its very tricky to get 3 full off-on cycles in a short enough time to generate the report.
Just stop by an AutoZone and theyll pull them for you free.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks... that's what I was thinking

doing all that cranking on the ignition may wear it out or break it, in my mind

·
Registered
218 Posts
Why would I not be able to get DTC codes using the ignition method??

I've seen where you turn the key to the ON position and then off 3 times, also I've seen 5 times, but still no DTC codes. What am I doing wrong??

Maybe I'll stop at an Autozone and see if they can do a scan, I think they will do it for free
In terms of finding DTC codes, my cruise control was dropping off randomly. I used a scanner and picked up no DTC codes, and the turn key trick showed nothing either. I would use the "erase codes" selection, and it would come back. So something does go on with these vehicles in the electronics area that run-of-the-mill scanners will not see.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Master Reset?

I'd suggest either buying a OBD II scanner - or going to a shop and have them pull your stored codes, before you create more problems.

Also, did you ever check your battery?
And don't forget the "master reset" where you disconnect the positive lead, and connect it to a ground for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thinking I'm just going to go see what Autozone can tell me from a scan and I may have them test the battery to see if its good or not

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I checked my battery and I think its ok, it was 12.62-12.65 before starting, then when starting it dropped to 10.19, then back up to 14.45 while the jeep was running. At least I think it is OK from what what little research i've done.

went to Autozone to have them get the codes and "They're system for reading the codes is down, NATIONWIDE", figures.... I'll get something figured out here

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
So I checked my battery and I think its ok, it was 12.62-12.65 before starting, then when starting it dropped to 10.19, then back up to 14.45 while the jeep was running. At least I think it is OK from what what little research i've done.

went to Autozone to have them get the codes and "They're system for reading the codes is down, NATIONWIDE", figures.... I'll get something figured out here
Sounds like your battery is fine. We'll see what they come up with when you get your DTC's pulled.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Clockspring?

Is everything here receiving input through the steering column? Does the key fob communication go through it as well?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just for S#@% & Giggles I got one of those little bluetooth OBD2 dongles, that connect to your phone, and only got one code P0456, Evap purge system small leak.

Maybe I'll see if Autozone can at least give me the codes off their scanner and I'll figure it out from there

·
Super Moderator
5,766 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts