Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum, have an '09 Commander with a 4.7. It has the Boston Acoustic system with the DVD player in the dash (I think that is a useless feature by the way - the DVD in the dash). I'm having random problems with the dash cutting out. The gages dip to zero, and the radio cuts out. When I bought the vehicle, it was doing that, and the dealer fixed it. Then my front diff went out, and ever since, it's back (I hope nobody ever has to find a reman diff out there). Car has 130,000+ miles on it.

Here's what we know. I've invested two hours of labor by a good mechanic in checking the entire charging system and fuse panel. Everything is okay there. The Park Assist switch is always off, and I cannot turn it on. It was working when the system wasn't doing this. Every so often the fan won't start up on the A/C - heat. It eventually cuts on. It's as if there's a wire loose somewhere, but I've been told that if the Park Assist module is bad, I should start there. I have been through the car wash at times, and when the air is whirling around to blow off the water, there have been times when the dash is looking more like a Christmas tree.

Where do I start? I've been told the park assist module is pretty expensive. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I feel for you about your front differential, it took at least a month for the dealer to find one for mine. I thought the law required replacement parts for 10 years, I am not sure but I think that the wk would used the same part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel for you about your front differential, it took at least a month for the dealer to find one for mine. I thought the law required replacement parts for 10 years, I am not sure but I think that the wk would used the same part.

I was lucky that someone had canceled an order for one, and was able to get it within a few days (shipping). I always thought the same thing as well, but was told it had to do with the small number of vehicles that were manufactured and the short tenure - so they didn't have to provide parts for as long. I found it at Weber Automotive in WI, and had it shipped to Michigan - $2250 was the entire bill.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Here's what we know. I've invested two hours of labor by a good mechanic in checking the entire charging system and fuse panel. Everything is okay there. The Park Assist switch is always off, and I cannot turn it on. It was working when the system wasn't doing this. Every so often the fan won't start up on the A/C - heat. It eventually cuts on. It's as if there's a wire loose somewhere, but I've been told that if the Park Assist module is bad, I should start there. I have been through the car wash at times, and when the air is whirling around to blow off the water, there have been times when the dash is looking more like a Christmas tree.

Where do I start? I've been told the park assist module is pretty expensive. Thanks in advance for any help.
If I was going to make an eduacated guess based on my experience, I would say your park assist module - which is obviously bad, could be grounded or shorted out - which is most likely causing your other electrical issues.

The first thing I would do is replace your park assist module and see where you stand after that.

I had to replace mine, and when my park assist module went bad, it was shorting out and causing other random electrical issues. That all cleared up when I had it replaced. The park assist modules are not that much in the grand scheme of things - if I recall correctly, I think it was around $200.00 for the part, then tack on an hour of labor on top of that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Similar issue here....

I was having same issue: instrument cluster lighting up and going dark, radio on and off, everything but the engine was cutting in and out randomly. PLUS the "service Park Assist" warning. Well, after two weeks of having to jump the battery anytime my XK sat for more than 4 hours, I took it in this morning. Just got a call saying they think my interior fuse box is bad and looking at $1000.00 dealer only part...
I like the idea of starting with the Park Assist Module first.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I've heard that, there is a law forcing manufacturers to provide replacement parts for 8 years, or maybe its 10 years. People have confirmed it.

Things is the law probably has enough leeway in it, to be reasonable to the manufacturer. You can't expect the manufacturer to go bankrupt because they have to ensure every possible part a car could need will be available the same day.

You should count yourself lucky, this has been happening a lot lately and even worse with FCA (Chrysler now). The manufacturers are cash strapped and I think they are directing their funds that would go to supporting the parts re-supply toward new vehicle production. There a numerous cases with people having their stuck at the dealership for 6 months waiting for parts on back order. I think someone posted on here, that he brought his Commander to the dealer for new shocks, they broke the strut yoke between the shock/strut and LCA, and then told him when he came to pick up his car, that he would have wait until a replacement part was available, that is was on 6 month back order.

So yea, replacement part supply was a mess for a while, and might have been worse with FCA. I think its getting better now.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
But back to the problem.

You need to read all the fault codes and see what they indicate. The extended codes, which likely these problems may be part of the extended software (i.e. NOT federally mandated OBDII) you might have to take it to the Dealer to read those codes.

Check grounds, corroded or loose grounds do cause intermittent shutdown and repower, blinking lights, etc.

There have been several posts about the blinking lights on the dash being related to the ignition switch and the owner fixed it by replacing the ignition switch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts