Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 2007 Jeep Commander 3.0L oil burner- receintly broke down in a multi-story car park(all the dashboard lights illuminated and the stereo kept on turning itself off-also esp/brake warning lights illuminated when I touched the brakes previous to parking up)When I returned to the truck it was as if the battery had died-turning the ignition key and just the starter soleniod clicked :( I managed to get it started by obtaining a Jump start from a friend.
Putting a meter on the battery- it showed 12.4V with engine off,dropping to 11.3V with engine on??-suspect Alternator??-but driving home with everything switched off seemed to work, as for the next couple of days it started/ran fine-until towing my caravan it just died(stalled) and the engine management light came on.It would turn over but not start(like fuel starvation)until we left it a while, then it started????-ever since I've had random lights generated(even the interior lights coming on and off!!!),
now, the engine management light has come on once again with a flashing red throttle sensor???and there seems to be power loss on acceleration-but the manual says it's on 5.7 petrol engines only??-any help would be apprieciated-Thanks.:icon_confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Get a new battery.

·
Registered
2 Posts
06 Command w/ Hemi

I too have been having trouble with my radio cutting on and off while driving. I just had the battery replaced and it did not fix the problem. I believe the problem drains the battery as this is my 2nd battery in 6 months (thank God for warranty on the part).

Check out the "Problems / Dealer" Discussion and read the
"Electrical hiccup?? Help" thread. I think you may find some help there.

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you find anything out.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
I too have been having trouble with my radio cutting on and off while driving. I just had the battery replaced and it did not fix the problem. I believe the problem drains the battery as this is my 2nd battery in 6 months (thank God for warranty on the part).

Check out the "Problems / Dealer" Discussion and read the
"Electrical hiccup?? Help" thread. I think you may find some help there.

Hope it helps. Please let me know if you find anything out.
He is having more problems than just the radio. That is why I suggested getting a new battery. The symptoms he describes match the symptoms others have had that were fixed when they replaced the battery. And the battery can be bad even though it checks out OK.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Semi-Conductors go nuts and react in all sorts of unpredictable ways when voltage drops below a certain level. The battery, which is a huge load to charge, can drop the voltage after start on vehicles despite having a good alternator.

Although there could be other causes for these symptoms a bad battery is a likely one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts