Jeep Commander Forum banner

When do you turn off your ESP (Select all that apply)

• In deep snow

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • Off road

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • On the highway

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Is that the button with the squiggly lines

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Never touch it

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a thread somewhere in here that covers the ESP. But I was curious how people use the lovely little button.

I know you turn it off for deep snow, turn it completely off to do donuts, and off road driving.

But I have heard if you turn it off while on the highway driving it improves gas mileage. My brother also swears by this but he drives a Dodge Charger...

So whats your guy's 2 cents?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I basically controls the amount of wheel spin the system allows. Turning all the way off does allow the ability to do donuts. mmmmmmmm....donuts...aghhhhhh

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I do not turn mine off.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
When I got my 07 XK the dealer told me that the only time I should turn it off was when I was on ice. He never said anything about deep snow. I may have to try it next winter and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Ive only had my Commander in "real" snow once, and I turned it completely off, per owner's manual. Which brings up another point. I see a lot of new guys get somewhat reprimanded for not using the search tab before posting what to other members may be a question with an obvious answer. Fair enough. But there is also a lot of info in the factory owner's manual that seems to be overlooked. Do you guys have the manual, or is it just easier to look here for the answer as opposed to going outside and opening the glove box?

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
When ever the commander is in 4 Low I hold the traction control button down for approx. 10 seconds and disable the ESP/Traction Control. If you read the owners manual it recommends you to do that when off roading. This has worked out well for me during the past off road trips to Rausch Creek.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If you are in mud or snow sometimes you need wheel spin to get keep going. If you don't shut off the ESP/TC it will detect wheel spin and apply the brakes to the spinning wheel(s) and cut engine horsepower. Not a good thing when trying to plow through the snow or trying to climb out of a mud hole.

I do exactly as 07JeepXK says. If I'm in 4LO I shut it all off.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just to clarify for everyone. In my 07 Commander when I hold down the traction control button for 10 seconds it doesnt totally disable the traction control. It displays ESP disabled on the dash however the traction control still kicks when a wheel begins to slip. As stated above when you are in deep mud or snow you dont want the traction control to kick in. You need the wheels to spin. Thats why I hooked up a toggle switch to disable the traction control completely for those situations. It has come in handy a few times already when playing in deep mud. The last thing you want when going through a huge mud hole is the traction control to kick in and apply the brakes.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you guys have the manual, or is it just easier to look here for the answer as opposed to going outside and opening the glove box?
Typically I find it easier to walk to the computer and fire up the forum then dig out the manual when at home. However if I am out and about I go to the manual first... besides I always enjoy peoples opinion and insight.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have only shut mine off so far to do donuts in vacant parking lost in the snow :)

I was in farly deep mud (like 8") and water fording up to 20" deep recently and left it on.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
First its important to make it clear that we are talking about turning of the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) ,, not the Traction Control which can not be turned off by default (except by the ABS fuse)

For me I always put the ESP to "Full Off" mode by pressing the button for 10 secs whenever I go offroading.

Also I never use the "partial off" mode, which does not turn off the ESP system but turns off the engine torque reduction associated with ESP work.

But I have heard if you turn it off while on the highway driving it improves gas mileage. My brother also swears by this but he drives a Dodge Charger...
That for sure is not correct, the ESP does nothing until the over or under steering happen.

Just to clarify for everyone. In my 07 Commander when I hold down the traction control button for 10 seconds it doesnt totally disable the traction control. It displays ESP disabled on the dash however the traction control still kicks when a wheel begins to slip.
absolutely correct

The last thing you want when going through a huge mud hole is the traction control to kick in and apply the brakes.
I have no real experience in mud , but I always find the Traction control useful in all situations, I just turn off the Traction Control by the fuse to minimize the effect on the ABS and breaking system.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I know that putting a Wrangler in 4LO will turn off the traction control completely so I would have to assume the same for the Commander.

I turn mine off only if I am in mud. Deep snow has not been much of an issue here in Arkansas!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I know that putting a Wrangler in 4LO will turn off the traction control completely so I would have to assume the same for the Commander.
I think you mean the ESP, not the Traction Control

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

I turn mine off only if I am in mud. Deep snow has not been much of an issue here in Arkansas!
Im going to have to disagree with you on this one. One of the guys I go off roading with has a 07 JK and his traction control doesnt turn off in 4 Low.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I usually leave it on unless I'm in deep sand, of which I turn off the first stage. (One push)

If I'm climbing big dunes, then I have to push and hold, otherwise the throttle control hinders things. That's because when the rig gets to bouncing on whoop-dee-doos during a run at a big dune, the ESP starts cranking down the throttle just about the time I need max power.

One push off is usually enough to do some mud slinging, otherwise ''Hal'' says ''I'm sorry, Dave, but I can't let you do that.'' :D You'll never get so much as a blob of mud into the air with ESP keeping you from getting radical.

On most other off-road, especially slow, controlled low range climbing, it's just left on.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts