Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have an '08 limited with the DVD,satellite head unit. It will play DVDs but not while in drive. I realize this is a built in safety feature, but is there any way around it?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is another way, depending on the version firmware of your unit. I believe you have to have version 8.4..

Try this:

1. While in Park, bring up the DVD on the front console and start watching the video.
2. Push the Audio button to bring up the balance adjust menu.
3. Put the tranny in Drive and start driving.
4. Push Done on the Audio screen. My system reverts to the playing DVD instead of the standard MyGig menu.

Note - subsequent DVD function or touching the screen reverts but if you leave it alone it plays along smoothly.

Disclaimer: of course, it is illegal to watch while driving... drive safely.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I have version 9.112 software. I tried the sequence mentioned above with no luck. Any other possible ways around like above?
You will need a Lockpic. See the link in my previous post.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Or downgrade the firmware to 8.4, which is what i did. Those are your two options.

I'm not sure the differences in firmware.. And disclaimer, read up on the downgrade before you do it. Don't fry your deck (if thats possible).

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
I'm not sure the differences in firmware.. And disclaimer, read up on the downgrade before you do it. Don't fry your deck (if thats possible).
That is a very real possibility.

·
Registered
44 Posts
lockpic is the way to go. I love mine and you can also program in navigation destinations while moving. Installing it was easy as pie.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can a 2006 even play a DVD up front?

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Can a 2006 even play a DVD up front?
If you have the REC NAV unit and the rear VES (Video Entertainment System) you can play a DVD on the navigation screen if you install the Lockpick. But you can not put a DVD in the NAV unit itself and play it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you have the REC NAV unit and the rear VES (Video Entertainment System) you can play a DVD on the navigation screen if you install a Lockpic. But you can not put a DVD in the NAV unit itself and play it.

I do have the VES and NAV but cant ever get it to work up front even in park.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts