Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever installed a eb heater. All the pics I have seen looks like it is just a harness connection. That seems too easy

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Has anyone here installed the engine block heater? What is involved in the install? Is it something an everyday joe can do?

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
have you seen a dipstick heater? plug n play! drop it in the oil tube and plug in!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had mine done at the dealer for about $100. They take out a freeze plug and replace it with a heater element. I wouldn't be hard to do, just very messy.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Engine block heater questions...

2 very stupid questions...

1. I bought my Jeep used, so how do I know if it came with an engine block heater. Was it an option, or are they standard in N.A.?

2. If I have one, where the heck is it/the plug in? I've searched all over, staying close to the battery and front fascia and don't see anything...

Advice would be most helpful as it's -35 degrees celcius right now.

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
Not standard.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Good question. Its not that cold here in GA (35 degrees), but when I get to Montana, it could get that bitter. I notice that my build sheet does have the engine block heater listed. So, now I'm curious as well. I suppose I could look it up in my manual... but what fun is that? =)

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER — IF EQUIPPED

The engine block heater warms engine coolant and
permits quicker starts in cold weather. Connect the cord
to a standard 110-115 volt AC electrical outlet with
grounded, three wire extension cord.
Use the heater when temperatures below 0°F (-18°C) are
expected to last for several days.
The engine block heater cord is located:

•​
3.7L/4.7L Engine — coiled and strapped to the engine
oil dipstick tube.

•​
5.7L Engine — bundled and fastened to the injector
harness.

WARNING!

Remember to disconnect the cord before driving.
Damage to the 110-115 volt AC electrical cord could
cause electrocution.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Found It!

PolarBZ said:
Good question. Its not that cold here in GA (35 degrees), but when I get to Montana, it could get that bitter. I notice that my build sheet does have the engine block heater listed. So, now I'm curious as well. I suppose I could look it up in my manual... but what fun is that? =)
Ok, so I must admit I kinda thought "duh", when you mentioned the manual...I can't believe I didn't look there first. I did find my build sheet, and it's listed, so out I went to the manual. The 4.7l engine has the cord wrapped and tied around the engine oil dipstick rod. I noticed it's in a different place for the 5.7l engine, but didn't keep reading.

So, I found it, and I can't believe how short it is! It's just (within an inch), long enough to reach out to the front of the hood without the hood slamming shut on it...but it's there!

Thanks.

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
Gee, isn't that what I said in my previous post? Copied right out of the manual.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I bought the engine block heater for my 4.7 last summer. I have not had a chance to install it yet. I scanned in the instructions for it. I thought it could help you. I bought the engine blocker to help my car heat up faster in the morning. PDF instructions

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
PolarBZ said:
I notice that my build sheet does have the engine block heater listed.
What is the code for the engine block heater on your build sheet?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, but apparently, you hit the post button before my fat fingers could.

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
andyblaze said:
I did find my build sheet, and it's listed
Can you give me the build sheet code for the engine block heater? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Engine Block Heater NHMS - is that the code you are looking for?

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
Well yeah, I was looking for the letter code in front of the description. But on my build sheet NHMS is Speed Control. ?

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Here is what is around the area on my build sheet...
"Power Steering Cooler NHK - Engine Block Heater NHMS - Speed Control NMHP - Hydraulic Engine Cooling PSB - Bright Silver Metallic Clear Coat QSBS"

I'm at a loss at to what all the codes mean, so I can only parrot what I see. =)

·
Administrator
16,140 Posts
Those codes don't match whats on mine so I don't know how they are used. It would seem that they would be the same for the same items but...
Anyway I guess I don't have an engine block heater. Don't really need one here in SC anyway. But we did have a record low here last night of 19 with wind chill of 11.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Yeah, you'd think, especially for both of our Jeeps being 2006 5.7 Limited HEMIs. If they were different years or models, the different codes would make more sense...

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Found my block heater right were the post said it was but darn if I can get it uncoiled. Cause I cant see back there and the fact I was freezing my gonads off didnt help. So I ended up running a extension cord back there till I can get to it.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.