Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this 2006 Commander with a 5.7 Hemi it had $199,000 mi car is an absolute mint condition engine runs like a dream and it rides and drives like a brand new car previous owner had it for 11 years really care of the car, found it at a dealer bought it as is took a chance after a day the headache started engine estates to cut off and ignition won't allow it to turnover, after letting it sit for a little while and try a few times it will turn over and start, it may drive for a few minutes and it keeps turning off again, no check engine lights on and no active codes all codes in memory related to transmission over temperature and transmission over pressure although it says fault was present during the last issue, not sure if this is causing the engine to shut down, everything in the dashboard stays on but ignition switch acts like it's dead anyone had experience like this really need your help thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd like to try to help you but trying to read this with no punctuation is giving me a headache.

If I understand you correctly, your car is stalling. When you try to restart it, turning the key may or may not cause the engine to turn over. If you wait for it to cool down it may turn over ok and start. Shortly later it will stall again and when you try to restart it, it may not even turn over.

I would start with the Battery. Make sure the connections are clean, tight and secure. If they are, consider replacing the battery. At minimum, I would at least pull the battery and take it to the parts store to be load tested. If you're lucky, your basic problem could be as simple as this. All these computers get confused when they don't get clean power.

·
Premium Member
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
824 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 07 Commander (with Hemi) had a somewhat similar problem. Engine would turn off and turning key to restart did nothing, but keep trying and it would start right up. Sometimes 2 or 3 tries, sometimes 50 or 60 tries before it would start, quite random and very annoying. After going through all battery related items, starter motor, ignition switch, starter motor relay, I brought it to dealer. Found a "short in the computer". Problem solved. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought this 2006 Commander with a 5.7 Hemi it had $199,000 mi car is an absolute mint condition engine runs like a dream and it rides and drives like a brand new car previous owner had it for 11 years really care of the car, found it at a dealer bought it as is took a chance after a day the headache started engine estates to cut off and ignition won't allow it to turnover, after letting it sit for a little while and try a few times it will turn over and start, it may drive for a few minutes and it keeps turning off again, no check engine lights on and no active codes all codes in memory related to transmission over temperature and transmission over pressure although it says fault was present during the last issue, not sure if this is causing the engine to shut down, everything in the dashboard stays on but ignition switch acts like it's dead anyone had experience like this really need your help thanks
I'd like to try to help you but trying to read this with no punctuation is giving me a headache.

If I understand you correctly, your car is stalling. When you try to restart it, turning the key may or may not cause the engine to turn over. If you wait for it to cool down it may turn over ok and start. Shortly later it will stall again and when you try to restart it, it may not even turn over.

I would start with the Battery. Make sure the connections are clean, tight and secure. If they are, consider replacing the battery. At minimum, I would at least pull the battery and take it to the parts store to be load tested. If you're lucky, your basic problem could be as simple as this. All these computers get confused when they don't get clean power.
I'm sorry I was dictating and I didn't notice the mistakes my phone was making even omitting some words.
You interpreted everything corrected the battery is new the terminals are clean and tight, I bought a ob2 reader and all the codes in memory are transmission related, like transmission over temp or transmission over pressure, what I am wondering is if the transmission module could be sending signals to the car computer to turn off the engines to prevent more damage, don't know if that's even possible

·
Registered
8 Posts
First off, what codes are you getting. And I don't mean the dash codes, I mean codes actually done with a quality code reader or app. What check engine lights are you getting? There is an ignition recall, and you can check car fax for that if it, an other recalls, have been done. My particular XK ('06 4.7), ended up being the TPS (throttle position sensor), random stalls, then restart, with tell tale dash lights.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is the ignition switch that has failed. Easy to fix.
The ignition switch had been replaced, I bypass the ignition to test the starter and it works but it won't start either even with the ignition switch open, nevertheless I'm not ruling out the fact that it might not be reading the chip, or it might do it intermittent

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2006 Commander which I just picked up from the dealer after leaving it for a diagnosis of the problem I'm having, engine shuts down unexpectedly no check engine light, after it shuts down it doesn't want to start until you turn the key 20 times or more, local mechanics in the mountains in North Carolina don't know what's happening to the car so I took it to the dealer and the Dealer can't find a definite problem either, they just told me it's either the CPM or the skim module not sure which, the skim module it's on backorder until December, it's just ridiculous the way Jeep is treating their customers.
My options are have my CPM reprogram and have the skin module erased by an independent company.
My questions to you guys out there who might have more knowledge about this than I do is if they erase the skin module will my remote door opener still work or will that kill the entire entry system together with the Anti-Theft? Also If anyone knows a reputable company that do this type of work I would appreciate if you let me know rather than look for One online or even on eBay, thank you for your help

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Commander
4 Posts
I was having the same error codes, getting transmission over temp etc. no overheating. It was intermittent for awhile. I had already done the ignition recall replacement. Jeep would die and then take multiple turn overs to come back on. What fixed my issue was the steering column module. I had it at dealership multiple times to try and diagnose issue. As it progressed I would get random lights that would flash and disappear and then one day it stopped turning over all together. I spent over $1400 repairing it, that was 2 1/2yrs ago. I have not had that problem since. I suppose it doesn’t have to be a dealership that does it but I have the lifetime warranty from 2007 as the original owner so I do most everything at dealership just in case. Just had $5k of engine work done under warranty. I would look into the ignition recall and make sure that is complete and the steering column module. Maybe look beyond dealerships for a shop that might have a better idea of what’s going on. I have a shop I take my wk to that knows it in and out and if commander didn’t have the warranty, would take it there too. I referenced my receipts to confirm that was the issue I had that reflected yours. I hope you get an answer soon. It’s so frustrating to pin these things down!! Best of luck to you!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was having the same error codes, getting transmission over temp etc. no overheating. It was intermittent for awhile. I had already done the ignition recall replacement. Jeep would die and then take multiple turn overs to come back on. What fixed my issue was the steering column module. I had it at dealership multiple times to try and diagnose issue. As it progressed I would get random lights that would flash and disappear and then one day it stopped turning over all together. I spent over $1400 repairing it, that was 2 1/2yrs ago. I have not had that problem since. I suppose it doesn’t have to be a dealership that does it but I have the lifetime warranty from 2007 as the original owner so I do most everything at dealership just in case. Just had $5k of engine work done under warranty. I would look into the ignition recall and make sure that is complete and the steering column module. Maybe look beyond dealerships for a shop that might have a better idea of what’s going on. I have a shop I take my wk to that knows it in and out and if commander didn’t have the warranty, would take it there too. I referenced my receipts to confirm that was the issue I had that reflected yours. I hope you get an answer soon. It’s so frustrating to pin these things down!! Best of luck to you!!
Thank you for your help that was one of the things the dealer told me might be, the first choice was the module on the steering column, the problem is they won't be able to get it until December, I asked them if I could buy a used one and they told me it cannot be reprogrammed to a different car so my hands are tied behind my back, but thank you it helps me narrow down the problem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts