Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed coolant leaking, so I changed the waterpump. Soon after, the engine started to overheat, so I figured the thermostat might be stuck. I replaced it. Engine still overheats and no hot air comes out when heater is turned on. Googled this and said that there might be an air pocket and system has to be burped?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,285 Posts
What engine?

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,285 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
definitely burp the cooling system. Run the motor with the cap off and heat on full blast until the T-stat opens. It also helps to periodically rev up the engine and give the upper radiator hose a squeeze or two.
Also, before you refilled, did you remove the bleeder screw? Both the 5.7 and 4.7 have one. Filling the system up without having taken it out traps too much air inside.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The 3.7L will get air bubbles in it as well, it is just the 4.7L with two cylinder chopped off. Many of the modern engines do get air bubbles when you drain and refill the cooling system. i.e. this will happen on other cars as well, but the Hemi doesn't seem prone to this. The air bubbles will eventually work their way out.

When I have filled the cooling system with the "Bleed Plug" removed (like the FSM says to do, that is why it is there) I have never gotten air bubbles bad enough to cause overheating. I have found removing one of the hoses to the heater core to vent off air seems to work as well, but the best is the bleeder plug that is usually at the top of the connection for the upper radiator hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.