Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got on her yesterday, the RPM's were pretty high and I heard some Pinging before it shifted. I have been using the mid-grade as suggested but maybe there isn’t enough octane in there? I only say this because my dad had a 69 Camero Z28 and we had to put octane booster in it or it would knock the same way at high RPM's. Do you guys think it has to do with the extra ethanol in the gas or is there something wrong with the truck? :confused:

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Figz said:
Do you guys think it has to do with the extra ethanol in the gas or is there something wrong with the truck? :confused:
Does it ping at any time other than when you were "getting on it"? Sometimes you can get a ping with excellent gas of the inclide to getting or the RPM was real low when you dumped you rfoot into the peddle. If this was isolated I would not think there was anything wrong with your "truck" :confused: (another discussion), but more likely conditions or fuel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
ethanol is actually a type of octane booster. Ping under short distance,heavy throttle is quite normal. If you have more than 30k on the truck,its probably time for a bottle of Chevron fuel system cleaner. Ping under normal acceleration or cruising would mean there's a problem with the engine.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I also have the Hemi and have run with 87 at times. I've never noted any pinging.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was an isolated incident so far, the truck does have over 30k on it so I will try some fuel system cleaner. Yes I did hit it from a idle roll so I guess it sounds like you guys are saying its common. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Try some premium gas and see if the ping goes away. LIke stated i dont think the ethanol would have any adverse effects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts