21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well guys....it's been quite a few months. I've taken most of the suggestions from here as well as ones from the Ram, LX and various other Hemi forums...
I'm finally at the final step of impatiently waiting for my startup canned tune....
It's been sitting with open cylinders since like August, but as of this past weekend it's ready to fire up. I'll be making a full new thread of my adventure (I've taken SOOO many pictures) once it's back on the road and I know it's 100%.
Big parts- Heads, Cam, Double Roller Timing, Long Tubes. Hoping to be at or over the 400hp range.

Here's a few from this weekend:

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well guys....it's been quite a few months. I've taken most of the suggestions from here as well as ones from the Ram, LX and various other Hemi forums...
I'm finally at the final step of impatiently waiting for my startup canned tune....
It's been sitting with open cylinders since like August, but as of this past weekend it's ready to fire up. I'll be making a full new thread of my adventure (I've taken SOOO many pictures) once it's back on the road and I know it's 100%.
Big parts- Heads, Cam, Double Roller Timing, Long Tubes. Hoping to be at or over the 400hp range.

Here's a few from this weekend:
Who did your heads and how much did it cost I'm rebuilding my wife's 5.7 now and the deeper I dig into it the more I find where it was rubberbanded together to sell the heads are good but I want to make sure

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Who did your heads and how much did it cost I'm rebuilding my wife's 5.7 now and the deeper I dig into it the more I find where it was rubberbanded together to sell the heads are good but I want to make sure
I had Inertia Motorsports do mine. I got the Performance Heads; so intake and exhaust ports are machined out and 6.1 SRT Valves, guides and springs put in as well as their "proprietary" valve seat job to prevent them from dropping out again! I think it was about $2100 for the heads? I don't remember exactly 'cause I ordered them at the same time as the Cam and some other parts....
There are cheaper options if you don't want all the performance mods or don't want AS MUCH done and just mainly need the valve seats fixed. If I remember right, they'll do JUST the valve seat fix/upgrade for less than $1k, but you gotta call in for pricing. They charged $75 for shipping, and it cost me about $100 to ship my heads back to them....so consider all of that with their core charges and everything else.

I looked over at your posts (I've been kinda absent from the forums lately), not sure what your ultimate rebuild path is, but having an '06 DEFINITELY get some "updated" heads, or something with a fixed valve job. Or you might be doing this all over again! All the Gen III 2003-2008 Hemi heads, regardless of what vehicle they were in will be susceptible to the seats dropping because of a flaw in Chrysler's design. Lifters are the same situation up to around 2013....definitely look into those while you are torn apart.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah her jeep started to dump oil out of the back side of the block and I got the heads pulled and it's not the original motor that was with that jeep the rear piston on the passenger side has chinks missing around the edge and it snapped the connecting rod I'm getting ready to pull the driver side head just waiting on it to warm up lol hopefully once I get the block out it is a salvageable block and not busted but just in case I know where a few short and long blocks are being stored that was used as either cores or customers didn't pay

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah her jeep started to dump oil out of the back side of the block and I got the heads pulled and it's not the original motor that was with that jeep the rear piston on the passenger side has chinks missing around the edge and it snapped the connecting rod I'm getting ready to pull the driver side head just waiting on it to warm up lol hopefully once I get the block out it is a salvageable block and not busted but just in case I know where a few short and long blocks are being stored that was used as either cores or customers didn't pay

damn...that really sucks!! snapping a connecting rod usually doesn't fair well for the block....or the crank for that matter... at that point i would just look into a fully rebuilt and just drop it in, honestly. You can get those for less than $3k. All the 5.7's are the same (until 2008), even the heads. You just bolt the different mounts, intakes, exhausts and other belt driven stuff on to match whatever vehicle it's going in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wombler I really appreciate this thread. I think I have read it at least 3 times for more detail each time.
I am looking at Inertia also and just curious your feeback on experience with them? I don't know that I am going to go down the addition cost of the performance gains at the moment but still considering while it is all open.

In your opinion getting standard reman heads will still be a possible issue for valve seats moving forward?

Thanks,
Michael

21 - 30 of 30 Posts