Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents: My 3.7 blew a head gasket. Jeep is in good condition with a ton of recently replaced parts (suspension, tires, brakes, etc.) Looks like I can pick up a salvage engine (70k miles) for around $1200. Any idea what the labor cost should be to swap them? Assessing whether to scrap this one and buy another - or do the swap.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gents: My 3.7 blew a head gasket. Jeep is in good condition with a ton of recently replaced parts (suspension, tires, brakes, etc.) Looks like I can pick up a salvage engine (70k miles) for around $1200. Any idea what the labor cost should be to swap them? Assessing whether to scrap this one and buy another - or do the swap.
Without me having your VIN number. And I don't want you to give it out on the internet.I can only give you a ballpark figure. The labor is going to be between 10 to 15 hours.
The difference in hours, is swapping parts from one engine to the other.
The other difference is labor rates differ around the country. I don't know what the labor rate is in the area you live in. But if you could find that out. You can figure out how much you're going to have to pay ballpark.
You really need to try to find a shop that will stay within that 10 to 15 hour range.
If someone tries to charge you more,don't pay it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks spraygun! They get $85-$95 an hour up here - so probably looking at $1200 ish. Makes it a tough call. Sink $2500 or get another one with less overall mileage. This has 225k on it (tranny, axels - though no sign of any problems there).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without me having your VIN number. And I don't want you to give it out on the internet.I can only give you a ballpark figure. The labor is going to be between 10 to 15 hours.
The difference in hours, is swapping parts from one engine to the other.
The other difference is labor rates differ around the country. I don't know what the labor rate is in the area you live in. But if you could find that out. You can figure out how much you're going to have to pay ballpark.
You really need to try to find a shop that will stay within that 10 to 15 hour range.
If someone tries to charge you more,don't pay it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Sent you a PM

·
Banned
105 Posts
It’s not a bad DIY job if you have the tools. There a couple writeups with a few tips on the swap. I may have one here, or maybe another forum.

You’ll need to figure the cost of a few new things like spark plugs, filter, radiator fluid, some warranties require water pumps to be replaced.
You could call around to price the job out.

BTW you can source any 3.7 engine from any Christ product 2005-2012. I used one from a 2012 liberty, needed to swap passenger side exhaust manifold (EGR to none EGR ), oil pan, a couple of sensors and intake and throttle body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 5 of 5 Posts