Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here know of a reputable member or mechanic who would rebuild my motor and trans? Or should I just buy used? My motor is a 4.7 and is leaking oil and has no power anymore. The trans is ok but would love to freshen it up if I'm gonna go about fixing the motor. I'm in the Missouri are and can and will travel I found a place that can replace the motor with a low mileage one installed for $2500 is this sound like a good deal. Ive changed a lot of trans and motors in fwd cars never any rwd or sed. Is everything plug and play? thanks in advance for any info or input.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would suggest getting a quality rebuilt engine from one of the national rebuilders. They typically have a good warranty and are more likely to have done their homework regarding recent improvements to the original design, including the cylinder head valve seats. Also the bigger rebuilders dyno test their motors before shipping for better quality control. You can get a Jasper rebuilt for under $3000, and if you shop around you could get something similar for closer to $2500. A used engine i not a good option unless you have no other choice due to budget.
All that being said, don't skimp on the accessories when doing a job like this. Expect to spend money on gaskets, sensors, belts and hoses, plugs, vacuum lines, fluids and filters. If you are like me, you start saying to yourself "while its apart i might as well....." and before you know it the radiator and condenser are being changed, you are detailing the engine compartment, aftermarket grill and headlights are being ordered... you get the picture.
Is your Commander worth putting $4000 to $5000 into? Is it in good enough condition to justify the expense? If (and when) my engine fails I plan on putting in a rebuilt, and probably a rebuilt trans as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had Pro Engines install a rebuilt with a three year warranty, new gaskets, reman intake, water pump for about $5000.

I've already had an oil leak and they handled the issue with my mechanic. They are in North Carolina, and I'm in Florida

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I had Pro Engines install a rebuilt with a three year warranty, new gaskets, reman intake, water pump for about $5000.

I've already had an oil leak and they handled the issue with my mechanic. They are in North Carolina, and I'm in Florida
@g_ster;

Could you post Pro Engines contact information?

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts