Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had our commander for a week now. Last night, my wife pulls in the garage, turns the key off, and then on the display is a message for about 1 minute that says -

"Programming Active"

Then it disappears. Everything seems to be working fine now, but it just bugs me what this could be. I called Jeep and they didnt' know. The owners manual says the display could read "Programming Active - New Key Installed" but this is not a new key. Same one we have been using. I just don't want to get stranded somewhere because the vehicle things I have a bad key.

Anyone else have a problem like this??? Please help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
whats the deal with the key. Can you make generic copies or do you have to use the ones given. Can I at least open doors with a copied key?

·
Registered
157 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
You can open doors with a generic copied key. You can not start the vehicle. For a general description of the Sentry Key system by visiting this link: http://www.xjjeeps.com/tech_reference.asp?section=2&ID=1
will buying an after market alarm system with remote start work in this system? My JC should be delivered in 2-3 weeks and the first thing I want to do is add an after market alarm due to the high theft in my area. Will the remote start feature work with the sentry key system? has any one installed an alarm yet?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Mopar sells a remote start system that works with the Sentry Key system.

The Sentry Key will not prevent theft of items left in the vehicle but makes the vehicle pretty invulnerable. It is the same rolling-code technology used in MB, etc.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Has anyone else had this problem? When I got into work this morning and turned off the vehicle I got this message. I just used my remote start this morning for the first time...hopefully it's not related to that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just had the "programming active" message for the first time when I parked at work this morning. I turned the car on and off twice and it went away. Just got back from lunch and everything seems fine.......hmmmm.

·
Registered
717 Posts
TPS said:
I just had the "programming active" message for the first time when I parked at work this morning. I turned the car on and off twice and it went away. Just got back from lunch and everything seems fine.......hmmmm.
Did you start your vehicle with the remote start?? Sometimes if you put the key in right after starting vehicle with remote start you'll get that message

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hmm, almost sounds like your homelink is picking up your garage door code or another signal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ok this feature is simple. Programming active simply means, if you have 2 keys that are programmed to start your vehicle. If you insert on key, turn the ignition to the on position, take the key out after the the chime stops, put the second key in wait for the chime to stop, the program active light comes on. Insert a key that has not been programmed yet to the car, turn the ignition on, wait a second it it will program that key to your car without the use of a star scan.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Why would it randomly go into that mode?? I think that's the question here. I found out that me putting in the key too soon after remote start was causing that. What about the other folks its happening to?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have the factory remote start on the key or the remote start that is a seperate key fob. Its possible that using the remote start with one key and insterting a different key then what was used to remote start the jeep could cause the program feature to enable. If 2 different keys are used to turn on the ignition then this could cause that to happen. Each key has its own resistance in the key to have its unique id programmed to the wireless control module.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Having the same problem, I just installed my remote starter and had a local shop do the passkey. Now Ive gotten the programing active message 3 times. Would like to get a better idea of what it is so I can let them know so they dont tear apart my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Programming active

Yesterday was a bad (?) day. I also got this message and couldn't figure out why. I do use my remote start (mopar aftermarket) but only have one key. I purchased this car, 2006, last year. I also had the check engine light go on. Had the codes read and found out that I might have to replace the gear shift module ( codes P0700, and U0404).

When it rains, it pours!!!!!

I hope I can find a quick, and inexpensive fix; I love this vehicle.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you start your vehicle with the remote start?? Sometimes if you put the key in right after starting vehicle with remote start you'll get that message

1 - 16 of 16 Posts