Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After installing the lift I did not notice any difference in the ESP traction control. After I threw on the bigger tires it seems the ESP wants to kick on more than normal espeically when taking corners. Sounds like a rubbing of some sort but I know its just the esp coming on. I remember someone saying you may need to recalibrate the ESP/BAS system after lift and tires. Does anyone have experience with this and does it have to be done immediatley? Thanks

Andy

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
After installing the lift I did not notice any difference in the ESP traction control. After I threw on the bigger tires it seems the ESP wants to kick on more than normal espeically when taking corners. Sounds like a rubbing of some sort but I know its just the esp coming on. I remember someone saying you may need to recalibrate the ESP/BAS system after lift and tires. Does anyone have experience with this and does it have to be done immediatley? Thanks

Andy
I haven't heard of anyone having ESP issues with only a two inch lift and larger tires. Only the guys with the four inch lift.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I have experience on two XK's with this issue. I once got my arse flamed on a different forum for suggesting the ESP was sensitive to lift height, not tire size. I have since found I was right. My '06 was originally fitted with a 2.25" Rocky Road lift and 265/70-17's. I had no perceivable difference with the ESP system. At a later date, I swapped out the 2.25" RR lift for a 4" Superlift, but did not change the size of the tires as they were only 8 months old. In fact, they're still the tires I have. After the installation of the 4" lift, my ESP system activated constantly on slow, sharp turns as I accelerated out of the turn. So to this day, I deactivate the ESP system every time I drive my Commander. I could get the module that fixes the issue, but I'm lazy. Two weeks ago, I had my wife's '08 XK lifted with a BDS 2" kit and 265/60-18's. She drives like Ken Block and her ESP has yet to activate. I'm still amazed the sensors within the Jeep can tell the difference between a 2" kit and 4" kit, everything else being the same. I'll probably get the module for mine at some point, but for now I really don't care. When I forget to disable the ESP system, the brakes grind away at whatever wheel they feel will keep me from killing myself until I'm over about 15 mph and then it leaves me alone.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it was the jeep dealership that told me a long time ago that I would need to recalibrate the esp. Just seems driving the same way I did before the esp is alot more sensative around corners than before the lift and especially the tires. Is the module something the dealer can provide and about how much you think it would be? Are you just completely shutting off esp by holding down the button for a few seconds? Thanks

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Yes, you can shut it off by holding the button for five second, and "ESP OFF" will display on the dash. That will keep the stability program from activating the brakes on individual wheels. The owner's manual does a good job explaining the various modes of ESP disabling as far as which systems are turned off and which ones keep working. As for the module, it's available from AEV or Superlift for (I think) around 300 bucks and isn't too difficult to install. I haven't heard of any further problems from guys who have installed it, but I don't have first hand experience. Maybe someone else who has the module can chime in as to whether or not they'd spend the money again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts