Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2008 Jeep commander with the 5.7 hemi. I love the thing. But it keeps giving me this EPS/BAS and Traction control lights coming up on my dash until the car turns off. Also, the cruise control does not work. I am willing to work with this, so I am not frustrated yet. But I've searched countless forums and threads about this and no one comes back and says " Hey this fixed my issue" is there a defined part that fixes this issue or parts? Any solutions will be appreciated.

Cheers and thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
16,218 Posts
@Fefrank Welcome to the forum! I'm fairly certain that you have a bad wheel speed sensor. Check for codes and let us know what you get.

Reactions: dar124

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you reset the steering wheel sensor by turning the wheel to each stop while the ignition is in ACC? Turn to on but not start the engine, crank all the way to one side till it stops (hard without power steering working), then all the way to the other side until it stops, then back to the center. Turn off, then start the vehicle. I just did this today and it 'fixed' it but for who knows how long. If it comes back, then it is the sensor jeep5253 mentions.

·
Administrator
16,218 Posts
Have you reset the steering wheel sensor by turning the wheel to each stop while the ignition is in ACC? Turn to on but not start the engine, crank all the way to one side till it stops (hard without power steering working), then all the way to the other side until it stops, then back to the center. Turn off, then start the vehicle. I just did this today and it 'fixed' it but for who knows how long. If it comes back, then it is the sensor jeep5253 mentions.
@schwags Please make an introductory post in the New Member Section. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I changed the fuses that are connected to the brake lights and ABS module, but nothing seems to work in that regard. My 3rd brake light was out, so I bought one from oreilly's thinking that it would fix the problem, replaced it but the code returned. Here are the codes it's throwing out:

C1017C
P0573
P0571

The brake switch and the wire for it has been replaced by the previous owner, so I don't know where to go next. It also has these codes stored.

VES3
B2185

·
Administrator
16,218 Posts
@Fefrank Do you get a "Service 4WD System" message?

·
Administrator
16,218 Posts
Yes. That one is on as well as the other lights.
That message, the other lights, and the cruise not working are all classic symtoms of a bad wheel speed sensor, as I said above. However, you apparently are not getting a code for that. How are you reading the codes?

Reactions: dar124

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That message, the other lights, and the cruise not working are all classic symtoms of a bad wheel speed sensor, as I said above. However, you apparently are not getting a code for that. How are you reading the codes?

Went to the dealer, they gave me a print out of the codes. I’m starting to think that there is a short somewhere in the wiring?

·
Administrator
16,218 Posts
Went to the dealer, they gave me a print out of the codes. I’m starting to think that there is a short somewhere in the wiring?
Try reading the codes yourself using the "key dance." Turn the key to the on postion rapidly 3 times and leave in the on position on the 3rd time. Do not start the vehicle. The codes will display on the dash if there are any.

·
Administrator
16,218 Posts
@Fefrank You may have more than one problem going on there. It looks like you may not have a bad wheel speed sensor as I suspected, although that is what it usually is with the symtoms you described. Since P0562 means your voltage is low, I suggest you check your battery before you think about changing the alternator. A bad battery can cause weird things to happen on the Commander. Also, the battery can test good and still be bad. Also, it could be that the the cruise control switch on the brake pedal could be bad. That's all I can give you. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Try reading the codes yourself using the "key dance." Turn the key to the on postion rapidly 3 times and leave in the on position on the 3rd time. Do not start the vehicle. The codes will display on the dash if there are any.
I have tried this key dance with no results. Do you turn if from all the way from the left to on and back to the far left etc? I get nothing when I do this. Any ideas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You have to do it pretty fast. It didn't do it for me the first 2 times because I was just going back and forth pretty slow.
Thank you, So I have done this and the readout is " DTC report done" is there another step to get codes or is this it? I have the same lights coming on as the initial poster of this thread, but my cruise control does work. These light have been coming on for two days, and now, sometimes the "4x4 drive service " or something similar is displayed, sometimes. Any suggestions as what to do from here? This is on a 2006 4.7 with 261,000 miles.

·
Administrator
16,218 Posts
@2006Com If you are only getting "DTC report done", then it is not detecting any faults. If you want to be sure, you can take it to Auto Zone and they will read your codes for free.

·
Registered
28 Posts
@2006Com If you are only getting "DTC report done", then it is not detecting any faults. If you want to be sure, you can take it to Auto Zone and they will read your codes for free.

Will that is the good news, right? I still have the ESP/BAS with the traction control light coming on, sometimes. I do have a bad sensor on one tire But that has been bad for several years with no lights coming on except a "tire pressure sensor " readout in the display, but no issues whatsoever, until now.
Any ideas?

·
Administrator
16,218 Posts
Will that is the good news, right? I still have the ESP/BAS with the traction control light coming on, sometimes. I do have a bad sensor on one tire But that has been bad for several years with no lights coming on except a "tire pressure sensor " readout in the display, but no issues whatsoever, until now.
Any ideas?
I think you are confusing the wheel speed sensor with the tire pressure sensor. A bad wheel speed sensor (AKA: ABS sensor) will give you the ESP/BAS, Traction Control, and the Service 4WD System notices. And usually the cruise control will not work. If I were you I would take it to Auto Zone and get them to read the codes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think you are confusing the wheel speed sensor with the tire pressure sensor. A bad wheel speed sensor (AKA: ABS sensor) will give you the ESP/BAS, Traction Control, and the Service 4WD System notices. And usually the cruise control will not work. If I were you I would take it to Auto Zone and get them to read the codes.
Okay, thank you. I will take it to Auto Zone and see what is going on with this.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts