Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw mention of this topic in another posting, but rather than hijacking that post, I thought I would start a new one.

In some of my outings, specifically dealing with that slimy sticky mud that you need all the momentum you can get to keep from getting stuck, my ESP system engages. It engages even when the button is turned off. In the discussions I have done on it, I understand that even with the system "off" it is still active, only at about 60% of full. Has anybody encountered this and what you have you done about it?

The only suggestion I have heard was from a local 4x4 shop with a good reputation, and then found this same solution online for a grand cherokee. (I will try to find the website again and post here for reference.) According to these sources, the way to fully disengage the ESP is to find the controlling wire and spice in a switch. This will give you all the control of the vehicle, no ESP. The down side is that it also cuts the ABS, so you loose that too.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
148 Posts
You have pressed and held the button for 30 seconds and had it disengage completely? And are still having problems....?

·
Registered
577 Posts
there are two modes of disabling, one touch of the button is partial off, and if you hold it down for ten seconds or so, it becomes fully disabled (except for spin control)
are you doing the full disable?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was unaware of the full disable if you press and hold the button. I am going to have to try that next chance I get. Is this the case for all of the years or just more recent?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
rem2506 said:
I was unaware of the full disable if you press and hold the button. I am going to have to try that next chance I get. Is this the case for all of the years or just more recent?

Thank you
When you totally disable the ESP you will get this message in the screen "ESP OFF"

Even when you diable the ESP totally, you will hear some sounds when the wheels slips, it is the Traction control.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Also, if you turn off the ignition, the next time you start it back up the ESP engages back on. You have to turn it off everytime you restart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
CrzCajun said:
Also, if you turn off the ignition, the next time you start it back up the ESP engages back on. You have to turn it off everytime you restart.
I second that, I also think it resets itself after being shifted into Parking - not sure though.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
CrzCajun said:
Also, ESP comes back ON automatically after disengaging 4WDLow, even if it was off before engaging 4WDLow

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sidart said:
I second that, I also think it resets itself after being shifted into Parking - not sure though.
Yes it was doing the same in my Commander earlier,,, but not anymore !! I don't know why !! .. maybe it was corrected in the new computer SW loaded in the last service.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I have QT1 and got out of some very deep mud only after turning ESP completely off.

I held the button in and waited for the chime.

I put it in reverse and was flingin' mud all over the place. Traction control never took over and my wheels were spinning like crazy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In Relation to QT I

So is the switch in the wiring the start to a solution for the QTI to QTII swap?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the wheels were turning (the ones in my head)

·
Super Moderator
14,912 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Its a cheap work around for most. Also you can't do donuts unless you hold it off for 10sec.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts