Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm completely drawing a blank for deciding a topic about an essay I have to write.

"The paper must deal with an issue involving budget process and procedure, public expenditure management, and/or budget institutions, public revenue policy, taxation, tax administration, public debt, or fiscal federalism."

I have to write five 2 page essays each using a different source about the same topic. Then I compile my thoughts into a separate 2 page review of all five sources.

So any ideas, I'm trying to think of more specific topics. I'm looking at articles on the OMB, CBO, and the CRS.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
14,975 Posts
Write about how the Federal Gov't has screwed the American people by not knowing how to keep to a budget and spending more than they receive in taxes.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be an extremely long essay. It would probably be longer than the healthcare bill in all honesty. haha

I'm trying to find a topic that is specific but general enough that is has plenty of sources.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
How about an essay on the debate about a fair tax or flat tax and eliminating the IRS, all the code, and all the politicians running on how they are going to "fix" the unfair taxes whatever, they feel that is.

We have politicians running on spreading the wealth, redistribution of wealth, death taxes etc. What if they could only run on how they were going to make the government more efficient or more responsible to the people, instead of what they feel they need to do to use taxes to "manage" the economy and perform "social engineering".

Just eliminate income taxes and tax everyone using a national sales tax and then live within a budget.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
How about an essay on how small the government could be in the economy if all it did is what is necessary to secure the people from internal and external enemies and armed conflicts, and regulate for healthy food supply and medicine. Let the states take care of the state governments interest subsidizing the poor as it can afford for general health and welfare needs of its citizens.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny you mention the Fair Tax because that was one of my first ideas honestly. It's looking like that will be my topic because of all the recent publications in support of it.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Good. I suggest you try to cover more than the fairness issue of this tax versus that tax.

Think about the angle of should the government really be in the business of trying to redistribute wealth or just have us each cover our fair share of the cost of government.

Don't take someone's money in taxes so you can give it to someone else who doesn't have as much (except for those few poor souls that really can't take care of themselves). But take some money from all of us to pay for necessary government.

And turning the energy in Washington toward governing, not managing the distribution of wealth. I think the best way to pull the rug out from under lobbyists and special interests is to stop trying to tune the tax laws to benefit a "needy" sector of the economy. Let the economy work without the artificial manipulations of Washington.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Look at Indiana. We have a budget surplus, whereas all of the surrounding states have a deficit. Mitch Daniels took office 7 years ago. People were worried about what they would lose! He was very unpopular at first, but he cut all of the government waste. What was left, he made much more efficient. Today, the state government does more with less, and is much more efficient: Hoosiers don't seem to miss what was taken from them seven years ago! The Federal Government could learn a lesson from this. :stickpoke:

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
You could always do something on why the military pays $45 for the hammer that you and I buy at Home Depot for $7.00

·
Registered
91 Posts
Look at Indiana. We have a budget surplus, whereas all of the surrounding states have a deficit. Mitch Daniels took office 7 years ago. People were worried about what they would lose! He was very unpopular at first, but he cut all of the government waste. What was left, he made much more efficient. Today, the state government does more with less, and is much more efficient: Hoosiers don't seem to miss what was taken from them seven years ago! The Federal Government could learn a lesson from this. :stickpoke:
I'm actually very proud of our state for keeping the budget in the black. My dad got pissed when he took away the unions but hey, we can do a lot more for a lot less, and government should be about efficiency and public service, not paying road construction flaggers $34/hr.

Also, under My Man Mitch we got the Hershey plant, the cop car plant in Connersville, if I'm not mistaken a Catepillar plant. Business loves Indiana, and I'm very proud of our governor for taking the right steps to keep us in the black, and we offer just as much as most other states.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You could always do something on why the military pays $45 for the hammer that you and I buy at Home Depot for $7.00
Amen. I held an aircraft parts store position in active duty Air Force, and we had these bolts that mounted jenny's to the aircraft deck, that were....

$492/ea. Yes that's right, each. $2000 to mount a generator to the floor. Hell I could bought grade 8's for $80 and pocketed the other $1920!!!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Amen. I held an aircraft parts store position in active duty Air Force, and we had these bolts that mounted jenny's to the aircraft deck, that were....$492/ea. Yes that's right, each. $2000 to mount a generator to the floor. Hell I could bought grade 8's for $80 and pocketed the other $1920!!!
We have a customer that bought a surplus of screws and hardware from the army
because they didnt need them. When Desert Storm hit, the Army wanted the back.
He made a FORTUNE reselling these parts.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Good thread you have shared here. A budget is a way of gaining control of, planning, communicating and fulfilling your dreams. At the very least, a budget should allow you to find extra spending money in your paycheck every month. It can help you see how to use money to pay bills and get more of the things that you need and want. A essay on budgetinghttp://www.essayscouncil.com/ allows you to decide what is important to your family and to make choices before spending your money.
Have a good day :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts