Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had this problem? I was accelerating to merge onto the freeway when another car cut in front of me to get on the on-ramp. I lifted my foot off the gas and the car felt like it was downshifting aggressively. I looked down at the instrument cluster and the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) light was flashing and the ESP/TCS (Electronic Stability Program/Traction Control System) light was on steady. The a/c started blowing ambient air (not cooling) and the engine ran really rough, almost stalling. It also made a put-put-put sound. Luckily, I was 1/4 mile from a Jeep dealership, so I limped in and left Large Marge there. The dealership is closed today, so I won't be able to get it diagnosed by them until tomorrow sometime.

Has anyone had this problem? The manual says the following:

"Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Warning Light — If Equipped
This light informs you of a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control system. If a problem is detected the light will come on while the engine is running. Cycle the ignition key when the vehicle has completely stopped and the gear selector is placed in the P (Park) position. The light should turn off. If the light remains lit with the engine running your vehicle will usually be drivable, however, see your dealer for service as soon as possible. If the light is flashing when the engine is running, immediate service is required and you may experience reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine stall and your vehicle may require towing. The light will come on when the ignition is first turned on and remain on briefly as a bulb check. If the light does not come on during starting, have the system checked by an authorized dealer.

I did a Forum search and didn't find a thread/post that's on-point. Any ideas? Cheers. Jorge :dunno:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
My first thought is the ETC does indeed have a problem.
All the other lights/ac etcetera are likely resultant, so currently I wouldn't give them much concern.

After shutoff and restart, did it change anything?

I've had this twice on my SRT8 Magnum but, of course, couldn't duplicate it for anyone.

Twice like once every two years......not going to get my jockeys in too much of a bunch over it.

Hope it acts up for your dealer.

Rob

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first thought is the ETC does indeed have a problem.
All the other lights/ac etcetera are likely resultant, so currently I wouldn't give them much concern.

After shutoff and restart, did it change anything?

I've had this twice on my SRT8 Magnum but, of course, couldn't duplicate it for anyone.

Twice like once every two years......not going to get my jockeys in too much of a bunch over it.

Hope it acts up for your dealer.

Rob
I did the restart but it didn't solve anything. After I left Large Marge at the dealer I thought about disconnecting the negative terminal hoping to reset the computer that way. Luckily, my hotel is 1/4 mile from the dealership, so I walked back and tried it. No dice; it still flashes the ETC and the engine runs really rough.

Did your issue sort itself out? What did you do?

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems a gremlin went through the computer yesterday; Large Marge runs just fine today. Showed up at the dealership extra early to beat the rush and turned the engine over just for giggles. Fired right up and no lights came on; took her for s spin (did a bit of Italian tune-up by accelerating to 90) and everything is A-OK. Go figure. :eek:hyeah:

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts