Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
105 Posts
This is where I left off. The wonderful rainy Florida weather made this take the entire weekend, and this is as far as I got. Is the only way to get the core out is to take out the blower motor and the top half of the housing?

Sorry to bump an old thread, just got arousing to doing this job on our 2006 XK. Got the dash out now what the heck do I have to pull to get to the evaporator core?
Looks like the heater core needs to come out. Then what? I'd rather leave the housing/air box assembled as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
105 Posts
Ok basically to get the evaporator you need to the air box unbolted from the firewall, only way I could get at the screws at the back of the housing facing the firewall just to get to the point I could see the evaporator. To get it out I had to get all the screws and clamps on the housing going back to the blower motor so case can be split just enough to get the evaporator out.

If anyone else is thinking of doing this job basically assume you'll need to pull the air housing box out to do it.
Didn't go quite that far because I didn't want to bother disconnecting the heater lines in the engine bay, the metal tubes which go to heater core go through the housing so only way to get the box out is cut or disconnect the heater hose in the engine bay.

Make no mistake this is a monster job. What actually make me more nervous is how much of the core electrical systems have to be disconnected to pull the dash. It is A lot cleaner with the way big electrical junctions either bolt together or have a clamp to release them. And trying to keep the steering wheel and column lined up to avoid breaking sensors and clockspring .

Dunno if I'd recommend this job to anybody, it's doable, but as with all thing in how these jeeps were assembled it done modularly then bolted in to the vehicle during assembly, making disassembly twice as difficult, honestly I'd rather pull the motor than ever do this job again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
37 Posts
I pulled the entire HVAC box out and took it apart with it out of the vehicle.

IIRC, once your down to the point where you're at, its only a few more bolts to lift the entire HVAC box out.

Look for AC oil residue at the bottom of the evaporator box, if it there make sure to add some oil extra oil, over what you're suppose to for an evaporator change, when servicing the system.

The drain for the HVAC box goes directly down through a hole in the floor over the Transmission. So any leaking oil is hard to spot. Most vehicles have a rubber tube that sticks out of the firewall and bends down. I reserviced my AC several times, but never saw any leaking oil, so I didn't add any oil, and I ended up seizing my AC compressor. So add some extra oil.
Does anyone have a picture where the drain for the HVAC system is on an 08?

21 - 23 of 23 Posts