Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need to know the exact type of oil and capacity for a few things:

-Transfer case
-rear diff
-front diff
-Tranny

chrysler here wants a grand to change the oils so im doing it my self but! chrysler wont tell me what oil to buy and wont sell it to me so im off to NAPA...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Which drivetrain combo?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Owners manual will answer most of your question.
We went through this about a year ago. It seems that some of the 06 owner's manual had a misprint, concerning the transfer case. This is the real deal:
Tran. Mopar ATF-4
Transfer Case - 3.7: Mopar ATF-4
Transfer Case - 4.7, 5.7: Mopar NV 247 Transfer case lubricant
Diff: QTI, QTII, QDII: Mopar synthetic Gear & Axle lubricant SAE 75W-140 (API-GL5) or equivalent with friction modifier additive. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Diff: QTI, QTII, QDII: Mopar synthetic Gear & Axle lubricant SAE 75W-140 (API-GL5) or equivalent with friction modifier additive. :eek:rangehat:
There is a quantity for the Friction modifier you need to add, don't remember off hand, BUT, you should only have to add the friction modifier if you have the ELSD differential, correct??

In the owner manual and user's guide, I've seen this more than once, and there are NOT 100% clear on which differential requires the friction modifier and which do NOT.

Which Drivetrains/4X4 systems have LSD's? I would think you only need to add the friction modifier for the LSD.

A NOTE for those that don't know.

*ATF+4 is NOT dexron II or any other version of ATF's, only use ATF+4, it is Synthetic ATF with a special formulation for Chrysler Transmissions. Chrysler started to retrofit a lot of their transmissions and XFR cases that used to specify Dexron II with ATF+4, so there is an argument that Dexron may work fine in some Commander trans/xfr cases, BUT, you don't know that for sure, Chrysler may have modified those parts and they do really need ATF+4 now. Eitherway, you can find ATF+4 at just about any auto store and even Walmart, and it usually costs the same, or barely more, than other ATF's; So don't risk it, get ATF+4.

The only ATF that I am aware of that states it meets or exceeds ATF+4 specs, that doesn't have ATF+4 on the bottle is AMSOIL's Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. I've always been wary of fluids that claim they are multi-application, BUT, AMSOIL has an outstanding reputation.

Remember, the axle fluid states to use "SYNTHETIC" if it states that make sure the axle fluid you get, NOT only meets all the other specs but is also SYNTHETIC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For a list of fluids & quantities go to Amsoils corporate home page and do the auto and light truck look up guide it should answer all of your questions.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I changed all my fluids about 6 months ago and I'm positive that my transfer case had ATF+4 in it so thats what I replaced it with. 10k and no issues.

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts