Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it might just be me but I'm wondering why when I drive in the slightest drizzle of rain with my 4.7 xk that it seems so squirrely? I'm on nitto terra grappler all terrains and yea they're getting a little worn but should a 5,200 pound vehicle with AWD QT-ll be all over the road? Is anyone else having this problem? Recently I rode in my brothers 5.0 explorer Eddie Bauer and that thing didn't even move when going over puddles at high speeds. It's gotten to the point where I'm having to seriously slow down or grip the steering wheel very hard to keep it straight in the rain. Seems odd, maybe it's just me?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Moderator
14,916 Posts
Might be a problem with your traction control.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That what I'm hoping isn't the problem! Should this be a dealer issue or is there a way to attempt to get it right?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I assume you've checked air pressures, but if not, check that. In addition, when you say tires are a little worn, I wonder how much exactly. What is your tread depth? That makes a big difference in shedding water on the road. My guess is that it's time for new tires, or slow down in the rain. Once the friction is gone, ABS, 4WD doesn't do a thing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haven't checked tire pressure I've been trusting my TPMS system. This has been going on for some time even when the tires were much newer and had more tread.

This may be another issue but I've been noticing even on dry pavement if I hit the slightest bump I'm all over the road. It seems more top heavy and unstable around turns which makes me think maybe shocks and struts going bad? There is excessive noise from the front suspension when hitting bumps like metal/metal clunking. I have the 2" RC lift and I posted this is issue before but I couldn't figure it out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As gpinthemiten said, once traction has been lost you can have the best system in the world and its not going to help much.. I would start with your tires as they are the first thing to cause loss of traction. As far as the suspension noise what type of mileage do you have, how much wheeling do you do and have you considered going to the OME HD lift? I have BFGs KOs with maybe 50% tread with not much problems. I highly doubt your suspension is causing hydroplaning issues but I may be wrong, Id start with new tires especially if the are worn, if you are looking for new A/Ts Ive read/heard great things about the Silent Armors and General AT2s..

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just hit 80,000 miles the lift has been on for about 15,000 the noise has always been there. I don't wheel often I've gone up a trail probably 3 times. I'll look into the new tires my budget is limited at this point. I haven't looked into a different lift either. I've contacted rough country about my spindle hitting the springs on sharp turns and they wouldn't respond even after I sent pics.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Did you get a front end alignment after the lift?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would get an alignment and possibly look into new tires. General ATs are a great tire and 4 @$580 tirerack is not a bad deal. Also look into wrangler take offs even slightly used are going cheap. I havent had any issues so far and my BFGs are less than 50%, I would have to assume your tires are done for..

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
It is extremely important to get an alignment after a lift for safety reason.s.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know I know I keep catching hell for not getting an alignment. So tires and alignment should do the trick?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hydroplaning is generally a tire issue. Wide and flat is bad, and going too fast for conditions.

You are just wasting your tires by not getting an alignment. That shouldn't cause issue with you hydroplaning. Handling could be affected and your tires will wear out way faster and it could cause premature wear on the ball joints and other joints.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
For the same reasons that a bad alignment causes poor handling and tire wear, it certainly can lead to hydroplaning issues as well as loss of traction on lower friction terrain. Reduced contact patch + tires fighting each other (specifically from excessive total toe) will cause the front end to lose traction a lot sooner than a properly aligned vehicle.

Edit: but yes.... speed, tire tread condition, tread type and tread width also all factor in. Just saying that alignment is also a factor and shouldn't be discounted.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now I see an alignment can be the cause of a lot of problems I may be having or could experience with premature wear. That's now on my list of things to do.

John my tires are bigger terra grapplers and no the ECM wasn't recalibrated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would get new tires and an alignment without a doubt especially if youve been running for 2yrs without an alignment

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had a few close calls with hydroplaning with my jeep. It doesn't happen all the time but the first time it happened I blamed it on the tires. I replace all 4 and have not had any issues since. Yesterday I was driving in some rain and on a curve , it let loose. Real bad!! It was Exactly the same as the other few times.(not more than 3). I thought this was crazy because it had not happened for about a year. I turned off the traction control and went back to the same curve and nothing... It took it like it was on dry road. I tried it 4 more times with the traction control off and all was good. I was too chicken to try it another time with it off. I think this will make me drive with the traction control off in the rain form now on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts