Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to throw a muffler on the truck to wake the hemi up a bit. Dont want it too loud and definitely dont want the drone, but i have to be able to hear it! LOL
Ideally, I would get the Magnaflow catback but it's a bit out of my price range at this point. I've read a lot on this site about Flowmaster's 50-series SUV and HD but am concerned about the durability. I live on the east coast and all the salt will eat it up in no time. I've also read here about the 5x11x22 magnaflow muffler which is used as part of their catback. Has anyone put this muffler on and left the resonator on? Again, dont want the drone, but i definitely want to hear it. I wonder how loud the truck would sound with the resonator left in place.
did anyone use a smaller magnaflow by any chance? Looking for some ideas here fellas, so please chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i got the dynomax, ordered it yesterday, do you know if you insatll it and a cai which i also ordered if you need to reset the computer and how?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
i got the dynomax, ordered it yesterday, do you know if you insatll it and a cai which i also ordered if you need to reset the computer and how?
No computer reset needed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The ECU typically will have some relearning (adjusting of fuel trims) to do when you change intake and/or exhaust, but it's not necessary to reset the ECU. It (ECU) may or may not reach a "learned" state quicker if you reset the long term memory, it just depends on the modification.

Some algorithms will use what they've "learned" in closed loop to influence open loop operation, that is: power enrichment (WOT) and cold start. These two things (PE & cold start) are typically calibrated so conservatively (PE is usually overly rich for piston protection), that even if your closed loop fuel trims are off, you still won't run the risk of improper AFR's with those type's of modifications.

With things that drastically change the volumetric efficiency of the engine like heads, cams, etc. I would say it's more important then (and usually an updated calibration goes hand in hand with those mods anyway)

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts