Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think the back pressure might do damage to the engine/exhaust system. :sick:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did some reading and could not find any issues with engine damage or back-pressure problems. Exhaust jacks in the past have had problems with punctures and instability. This Bushranger X-Jack has a triple layer top and feet that are designed to dig in. I read an article where a gadget mag tested it and the writers were very impressed with it. It will inflate with exhaust or with a portable compressor in case the exhaust is bent up or buried.

The jack gives about 30 inches of lift. Here's another pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I'm guessing the exhaust inflates and lifts the vehicles in 1/10th the time an electric pump would do it, at least one that you was reasonably priced and could be carried in your vehicle practically.

My guess, it would "stress" the engine and exhaust, the worse thing that would happen from building up too much backpressure would be for the motor to stall out. If you have something weak in the exhaust, a small leak, etc, I suspect the use of this will reveal it and make it obvious, might make it worse, but a good exhuast will probably be OK.

I'd worry about flow through the CAT's and the lack of it, might cause them some duress, BUT, I'm guess you would only once this a few minutes a couple times a year, which would probably NOT be too bad.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The Titan is rated for 2 tons and the Bushranger is rated for 4 tons.

The ARB(Bushranger) comes with a few items. The jack, zippered carry case, exhaust hose, an exhaust extension hose, a PVC pipe for angle tipped exhaust, a pair of gloves, and a laminated instruction sheet.

The Titan:
TITAN 2 TON EXHAUST AIR JACK
Kit Includes:
Air jack, 1 small cone, 15 foot hose, and carry case

The description for the Titan states that no back-pressure problem exists due to only needing 0.7 atmospheric pressure to inflate. I'm not sure what that translates to in layman's terms.

The ARB was tested on a Yota forum and the tester stated that he finished inflating the ARB with a portable compressor and it was actually faster than the exhaust.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The description for the Titan states that no back-pressure problem exists due to only needing 0.7 atmospheric pressure to inflate. I'm not sure what that translates to in layman's terms.
It would have to be 0.7 atmosphere Gauge, NOT absolute, because that would cause the bag to deflate. Its just another way of expressing air pressure, its relative, meaning that what ever the atmospheric pressure is at the moment, multiply it by 0.7 and add it to the pressure and that is the pressure in the bag. Since how much it inflates is dependendant on the atmospheric pressure outside the bag, absolute pressure is meaningless, its all releative, in short, the pressure in the bag will be 0.7 or 70% greater than pressure outside the bag. The size of the bag then produces 4000lbs of force with that pressure.

On a standard temp and pressure day at sea level, the atomspheric pressure is 14.7PSI, so the bag would inflate up to 25 PSI. If atomspheric pressure was more or less, the bag pressure would be more or less proportionally.

Well the engine and exhaust is NOT designed to inflate the bag, arguably the backpressure is NOT good, and in some circumstances could cause a problem; BUT, yea, its NOT a lot of pressure, nor normally would it be a lot of time under this strain. I'm sure we all do things that are for more abusive than this on our motors, far more often.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Wouldn't it be just as bad if not worse having the exhaust in water/mud as far as damage goes from back pressure?
You would have to test it and measure the pressure to know for sure;

My guess, the exhuast being in water would only offer minor resistance to the flow, additional back pressure would be very little, but I could be wrong.

Mud might be a problem, that could be enough resistance to make a huge difference.

People have had clogged exhuast, and the motor stalls, they clear the clog and the motor runs like normal, no damage.

Like I said before, arguably its NOT good for the engine and exhaust, BUT, so are a lot of things we do with the motor, its NOT going to be that much stress and you would only do it once in a while as well.

If someone suffers some sort of problem/failure using this thing, likely it was a problem already there in the engine/exhaust and the extra stress just revealed it, or was the straw that broke the camels back and tipped the failing part over to failure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have "dual exhaust" you'll need to block one of the exhaust tips. From what I've seen, you have to hold the hose to the bag on to your tailpipe. You would also need to hold whatever you can use to block the other tailpipe. Sounds like it could be annoying if you're alone. Great idea though and I'm sure it's one of those things that it suddenly becomes money well spent the one time you need it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts