Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 06 Xks prone to leaks at the manifold or header? This morning I got out of the XK right after starting it only to hear a strange noise which I first though was a stuck lifter or valve but sounded, after a shot time, like an exhaust leak. It seems to go away after things warm up.

I hope I can see your responses as I seem to having a problem opening any thread on this site and only this site. I sent a message to the moderators last week but have not had a response so not sure they received it. The site shows I am signed in but cycles thorugh and then I get a message that there is a problem with the wed page and it takes me back to the forum menu or new post menu, depends which one I tried to open the thread from.

·
Registered
97 Posts
No idea on the exhaust leak.

I had to switch to Mozilla Firefox to get rid of the loading errors I was getting with IE7 and this site.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Are the 06 Xks prone to leaks at the manifold or header? This morning I got out of the XK right after starting it only to hear a strange noise which I first though was a stuck lifter or valve but sounded, after a shot time, like an exhaust leak. It seems to go away after things warm up.

I hope I can see your responses as I seem to having a problem opening any thread on this site and only this site. I sent a message to the moderators last week but have not had a response so not sure they received it. The site shows I am signed in but cycles thorugh and then I get a message that there is a problem with the wed page and it takes me back to the forum menu or new post menu, depends which one I tried to open the thread from.
Well your thread posting worked this time. Sorry can't help you on the exhaust leak issue.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hi Creek,
Several members have had manifold gaskets fail, some had manifold bolts loosen or snap off (leading to gasket failure), and I think one had a cracked manifold...long ago.
So, I guess the answer is yes, there have been a few failures.

Your description,' quiets down as it warms up' lines up with loose bolts.
As the manifold expands it reseals to the head.
Usually, if a bolt is broken off the leak remains constant.

Good luck,
Rob

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Creek,
Several members have had manifold gaskets fail, some had manifold bolts loosen or snap off (leading to gasket failure), and I think one had a cracked manifold...long ago.
So, I guess the answer is yes, there have been a few failures.

Your description,' quiets down as it warms up' lines up with loose bolts.
As the manifold expands it reseals to the head.
Usually, if a bolt is broken off the leak remains constant.

Good luck,
Rob
Robby,
Can I reach these bolts wihtout a lift? Remenber I am in FL so laying on the ground is not a problem, except for old age. Is there a troque spec and tightening patterning? I can always count on and appreciate your response. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Robby,
Can I reach these bolts wihtout a lift? Remenber I am in FL so laying on the ground is not a problem, except for old age. Is there a troque spec and tightening patterning? I can always count on and appreciate your response. Thanks.
LOL...X2 on the old age thing.
It appears you can access the bolts by removing the inner fender liners (and wheel)
I thought there were some photos posted, you may want to search around a bit unless 5253 (searchmaster) beats you to it.

No real pattern on manifolds beyond starting at center and working towards the ends.
Although I'm sure there is a torque spec. and some will disagree with me but, I kinda use a tight is tight dead reconning method.
But, if you see any missing bolt heads, the maniflod will have to be removed for extraction.
Might want to get in there with a dental or inspection mirror before you disassemble too much.
Frankly, any loose ones I would replace since they probably got loose due to stretching, and they likely are on the verge of breaking while retightening.

Hope that helped a bit,
Rob

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am with you tight is tight. I hope to have some time on Friday to check things out, if not I will have to wait until next week. Can the studs be removed without removing the entire manifold.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In reading one of Creeks later posts, trying to locate a fuse, I believe the drivers side was the leaker.
He did not report back if it was loose, or a bolt, or a gasket.
Since nothing was mentioned I have to believe he was successful though.

Rob
Two bolt heads were broken and gasket had to be replaced. I did not do the work, had a local shop do it. All is well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another leaky manifold

Had the same problem on the driver side with my 06 4.7 Ltr at about 65,000 miles. Its at the dealer right now getting new bolts and a gasket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Left Exhaust Manifold Leak 2006 XK 4.7:

Torque specs (2006 XK Commander 4.7L).​

manifold bolts - 25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.).
manifold heat shield - 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.), then loosen 45 degrees. (Note that's INCH LBS, not FOOT LBS)

LOL...X2 on the old age thing.
It appears you can access the bolts by removing the inner fender liners (and wheel)​

I thought there were some photos posted, you may want to search around a bit unless 5253 (searchmaster) beats you to it.​

No real pattern on manifolds beyond starting at center and working towards the ends.​

Although I'm sure there is a torque spec. and some will disagree with me but, I kinda use a tight is tight dead reconning method.​

But, if you see any missing bolt heads, the maniflod will have to be removed for extraction.​

Might want to get in there with a dental or inspection mirror before you disassemble too much.

Frankly, any loose ones I would replace since they probably got loose due to stretching, and they likely are on the verge of breaking while retightening.​

Hope that helped a bit,​

Rob​

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In reading one of Creeks later posts, trying to locate a fuse, I believe the drivers side was the leaker.
He did not report back if it was loose, or a bolt, or a gasket.
Since nothing was mentioned I have to believe he was successful though.

Rob
Two borken bolts and a trashed gasket and it was on the driver side, SORRY I thought I had reported my findings.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Leak - Broken Bolt

Looks like I have a similar problem. Driver's side rear leak, visible black exhaust deposit (thin line) on the outside of the manifold. Looking at it while the engine is running, I can see the heat shield and fastener vibrating - looks like the bolt is broken just under the exhaust manifold.

Two borken bolts and a trashed gasket and it was on the driver side, SORRY I thought I had reported my findings.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just replaced my manifold gaskets because of a random leak, it turns out that it was leaking between the gasket, the factory gaskets are a two piece design. A thin layer of tin(against the head) and the normal soft gasket material against the manifold... Seemed to fix my problem so far(1000 miles). It is quite a job, took me around 5-6hours, you can get to all the bolts from the top its not easy though.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue. Driver side, rear of engine leak. I have not checked but sure sounds like this is the problem. Did the Dealer cover this under warranty???? Mine failed at ~50k miles.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the same issue. Driver side, rear of engine leak. I have not checked but sure sounds like this is the problem. Did the Dealer cover this under warranty???? Mine failed at ~50k miles.
I thought my 06 only had a 36K warranty so I never checked. I went to laocal shop I would call them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts