Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got the Mrs' Hemi Commander on stands, 205k miles, have put new filters in the trans and a transgo shift kit. New plugs and coils are in for a random misfire issue. Diff is out for bushing replacements and when it goes back in so does new sway bar bushings and links. So while the diff is out I tackled the broken exhaust studs. After the chore of removing the heat shields, I found out one stud on the driver side is broke off flush with the head. My question is, how have you went about fixing the stud? A friend suggested pulling the motor mounts, lifting and moving the motor over as far as it will go and drilling with a right angle drill. Seems doable, but prone to problems. My grandfather suggested pulling the motor. I've thought about pulling the heads and replacing lifters while I'm at it but it's aggravating putting this much money into a car I just bought.

Thanks
Kane

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got mine back from the shop. I had the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced and had my front diff bushings done at the same time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just got mine back from the shop. I had the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced and had my front diff bushings done at the same time.
that is great news.. how much did it cost and what part of the world are you in my friend??

been needing to get both done.. as I have those clunk noises

·
Registered
44 Posts
I live in Chilliwack BC. Costed me $1600 to replace both exhaust manifold gaskets which included 8 seized and broken stud removal. That price also included the bushing replacement. My mechanic said the old ones were some of the worst bushings he has seen. Glad I got it done. Now I can start saving $$ for an OME HD lift.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Weld a nut to it and wrench it out.
Finally got around to doing this last night and worked like a charm after getting my welder settings right. I'm now in the process reassembly. Thanks for the tip.

The new bushings are being stubborn to install so off to the search engine I go.

Kane

·
Registered
68 Posts
I live in Chilliwack BC. Costed me $1600 to replace both exhaust manifold gaskets which included 8 seized and broken stud removal. That price also included the bushing replacement. My mechanic said the old ones were some of the worst bushings he has seen. Glad I got it done. Now I can start saving $$ for an OME HD lift.

yeah .. that is about what i was quoted here in louisville ky...

did you go with the oem headers? or took the chance to upgrade?

Finally got around to doing this last night and worked like a charm after getting my welder settings right. I'm now in the process reassembly. Thanks for the tip.

The new bushings are being stubborn to install so off to the search engine I go.

Kane
keep us posted good sir.. on the progress..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All back together and on the road. Ended up taking the diff to an axle shop and letting them do it. Owner said he has never seen anything like it, he wasn't sure a 25 ton press was going to get them in, but after fly cutting a bevel in the difference they pressed in. Took all 25 tons, but they went.
Runs somewhat well athough my #7 misfire is still present, I can hear the lifter now that the exhaust is sealed up. Was really, really hoping it was ignition related but I'm beginning to think not, I'll make a new post about that problem tomorrow.
One last complaint, dealership we bought it from had the oil changed. Mr monkey fist chuckle head oil tech over tightened the oil filter. Took an hour to finally get it off. If tight is good enough, holy hell balls out tight must be better, right?

Kane

·
Registered
359 Posts
All back together and on the road. Ended up taking the diff to an axle shop and letting them do it. Owner said he has never seen anything like it, he wasn't sure a 25 ton press was going to get them in, but after fly cutting a bevel in the difference they pressed in. Took all 25 tons, but they went.
Runs somewhat well athough my #7 misfire is still present, I can hear the lifter now that the exhaust is sealed up. Was really, really hoping it was ignition related but I'm beginning to think not, I'll make a new post about that problem tomorrow.
One last complaint, dealership we bought it from had the oil changed. Mr monkey fist chuckle head oil tech over tightened the oil filter. Took an hour to finally get it off. If tight is good enough, holy hell balls out tight must be better, right?

Kane
Wait misfire? Do you have the 4.7 by any chance? I did. And i found the problem causing my misfire. If you have the 4.7, and ignition fixes and basic fixes are not solving your single cylinder misfire problem, try removing the valve cover on the side of the cylinder with the issue. When i did, i found that a valve spring retainer had fallen off somehow, and was resting next to my valve train, and the missing retainer caused the spring it was on to get all bent, which resulted in a vacuum issue for that cylinder causing a misfire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait misfire? Do you have the 4.7 by any chance? I did. And i found the problem causing my misfire. If you have the 4.7, and ignition fixes and basic fixes are not solving your single cylinder misfire problem, try removing the valve cover on the side of the cylinder with the issue. When i did, i found that a valve spring retainer had fallen off somehow, and was resting next to my valve train, and the missing retainer caused the spring it was on to get all bent, which resulted in a vacuum issue for that cylinder causing a misfire.
We have the 5.7 Hemi but they have been known to have similar issues. Nothing but a tear down will confirm it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Working on replacing my gaskets right now. I removed the air box and strut tower brace to get access to the passenger side from above. The battery, battery tray from the driver's side along with loosening the power distribution boxes so they could be moved. From below, I braced the transfer case and then removed the transmission cross member and cat y pipe. Also the engine skid plate. Two broken studs passenger rear and two on driver's rear. It was the subject of a recall but I am changing manifolds so doing it myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts