Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever wonder who much you typically spend on gas per week? Mine comes to about $100-$125/wk. That's with a Honda Prelude coupe & BMW 335i sedan filling up w/ premium (avg here for about 3.75/gal) and filling the XK Hemi @ 3.25/gal. Here in Texas, our freeways are fun to fly, but no fun to 'park' in traffic. Welcome folks..."Houston, we DO have a problem"!.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i might spend $100 / week, depending on how much driving i have to do. much of mine is highway driving.

gas is down to $3.36 around here.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
We fill up the Patriot about once every 5-6 days (now at $3.25/gal). The Commander gets about $50 in the tank every couple weeks, as it's hardly driven.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I was spending $100 a week in gas, with my new car I have a car payment, extra insurance and gas for the new cars AND still spend less each month.:woot:

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I used to spend a lot more, but for the time being I only drive the kids to school, soccer, and other events. Once I get back to having to actually GO to work (as opposed to doing everything online), I know my expenses will go back up. But for now, I put maybe $100-200/month in the XK. Unless we take trips to visit family, then it goes WAY up.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I usually spend around $100 a week. I live right by work, but I do a lot of driving.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I was spending $100 a week in gas, with my new car I have a car payment, extra insurance and gas for the new cars AND still spend less each month.:woot:
Are you serious? I don't even see how that's possible. The car payment, insurance payment, and gas for the new car is less than $100/week?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Are you serious? I don't even see how that's possible. The car payment, insurance payment, and gas for the new car is less than $100/week?
new car is less PER MONTH than the XK

Commander:

Gas per month: $400
Insurance: $87.83
Total: $487.83

smart:

Gas per month: $50
Insurance: 51.67
Payment: $385
Total: 486.67

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I'll spend the extra buck a month to be comfortable and safe in the Commander. =) And with the falling gas prices, I'd expect the Commander to be cheaper very soon.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
new car is less PER MONTH than the XK

Commander:

Gas per month: $400
Insurance: $87.83
Total: $487.83

smart:

Gas per month: $50
Insurance: 51.67
Payment: $385
Total: 486.67
I'm not tryin to correct anyone, but from the looks of it... this is the lowdown:

Ownership of XK: you averaged about $400/mth in gas, and bout 88 bucks in insurance (assuming there were no car payments)

Ownership of SmartCar: $50/mth in gas, insurance @ 52, and car payments of 385/mth.

Looking at your equation, you're a bit over a dollar a month, correct 'overall'?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I finance my autos at 100% and then pay them off in 6 months (builds credit). six months from now it will cost me approximately $100 per month to drive my smart vs $485 to drive my XK. The XK has it's purposes, but it makes no sense for one person to use $400 a month commuting to work when I can do it for $50. And the smart is a blast to drive.

As far as safety, I have heard it all, but when your time comes it comes. The smart is made by Mercedes, four star crash test, four air bags, safety cell (roll cage)... And yes a Semi might kill me but it would also kill a motorcycle and passengers in an XK. How many people really get hit by Semis anyway?

·
Registered
686 Posts
I drive about 18 miles round trip to the metro station, 5 days a week. Usually use the wife's Camry on weekends unless we have to pick up something big or I'm heading to the mountains or for stargazing. Generally fill up 2 times a month at about $60/fillup. Not so bad.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I spend circa $500 per WEEK on gas over here in Enland!!!

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Yeah! All us wankers should just shush because gas is a gazillion times worse in Europe! (Even though I sound sarcastic, I'm kinda serious) But, I won't complain that the prices have been coming down recently! Go USA! I should have "imported" some oil when I was in Iraq...

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I was watching my local station the other day because I needed to fill up and wanted the cheapest gas, it was 3.31 most of the day and when I went to purchase it had dropped to 3.26, last night I noticed it was at 3.15

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Its a sad sad day when someone "woots" $2.88 / gallon. I'll be happy with 2.50 and I'll woot 2!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts