Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has any of you more long termers noticed road debris damage to the exposed oil cooler that is in front of the lower radiator just below front bumper? I have sustained alot of small rock dings in that finned oil cooler in only 2000 miles of mostly interstate driving.

·
Registered
195 Posts
6600+ miles and no visible dings, quite a few bugs. But then, I haven't been on any gravel roads. Something to watch out for. Got the first windshield ding from a gravel truck in Phoenix (Scottsdale) last month. [I've assumed the oil cooler's for the transmission.]

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am not positive, but I think mine has two (2) coolers on it. Could it be that a towing package includes an oil cooler and a transmission cooler. If I remember correctly while I was installing the tow hooks, a royal pain in the a$$ as you have to take the front bumper cover off, I saw two coolers.

Bob

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am going to be putting tow hooks on. How much work does it take to remove the front bumper cover? I was hoping to just bolt on the hooks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just bolt them ON...LOL Just kidding.

The trick is to locate the 3 snap fastners on each side. They are a little tough to reach but you can get to them from underneath the front end. The snap fastners are located in front of the fender well liner and behind the bumper cover. Do not undue the fastners for the liner!

The directions mention a screw to undue in the top of the bumper cover on the corners nearest the wheel well. I could never find it. The bumper cover appears to be held in by a snapping into place. Becarefull when you go to remove the corners (by the wheel well and at the top of the bumper cover) as they are easy to break. Two large bolts hold the bottom of the cover on to the bumper and are easy to get to. Size 10mm I think. Four push pin type fastners hold the cover at the bottom of the grill area in front of the radiator.

Other than that it should be easy. Just remember that the snaps that hold the edges of the bumper covers on need to be pinched closed and push through their respective holes to get them loose. They do not actually un attach from the bumper cover, but are used to hold the bumper cover on to the fender flare area.

Hope this helps and does not confuse you. I had only about 3 minutes to type this and if you need a better explanation respond back and I will go through it with better detail.

Bob

·
Registered
45 Posts
My hemi has the separate front mounted power steering/rad fan motor cooler. The other cooler is for the transmission and uses the upper portion of the a/c condensor (a combined part).

Possible the 4.7 may not use a p/s cooler since the rad fan is electric vrs. hydro-mechanical.

No engine oil cooler.
Carlos

·
Registered
437 Posts
Bob,
thanks for the info about the tow hooks. Looks like I will have to install while the wife is at work. Might be hard to explain why I have the front bumber torn off our brand new $37,000 Jeep a week after we bought. I will just quietly slip the tow hooks on one day and she probably will never even notice them. It a Jeep Thing, my wife dosen't even understand it some of the time.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought the tow hooks on EBay. they were new take off's from a GC Overland because I wanted chrome ones.
Black retail for around $100

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do you have to worry about any airbag sesors when you remove the front bumber cover to install the tow hooks? I guess it's always a good idea to disconnect the battery.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts