Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever thought to extend the roof rails up to the top of the A-pillars (or at least closer to them)? the rails are steel or aluminum, i can't tell, but if fabricators can make custom steel bumpers and tire racks, these rails should be a breeze to re-fab in a longer size. just wondering why we have 3/4" rails when we could have full rails (and full size roof racks). anyone know if the roofline above the front doors could support more weight? i'd assume so, but you never know. anyone have a pic with their roof rails removed? man, i really gotta get my a$$ to Checker's for a Chilton's manual lol.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I replaced my black ones with chrome ones. They are aluminum. Why not buy one (I think you don't have to buy a pair), and cut it to the correct length to obtain one extension for each side. Use both ends: that way you will have a black square drain hole on the front end of each side. Remove the plastic end caps, mark the roof and install at least 2 rivnuts for each side. Screw the rail extensions on and reinstall the end caps in their new forward location! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
wouldn't you run into problems with the " theater seating " roof line, the way the roof steps up.
Take a look at the top of your Commander. The rails are on the outside of the stepped up part of the roof.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced my black ones with chrome ones. They are aluminum. Why not buy one (I think you don't have to buy a pair), and cut it to the correct length to obtain one extension for each side. Use both ends: that way you will have a black square drain hole on the front end of each side. Remove the plastic end caps, mark the roof and install at least 2 rivnuts for each side. Screw the rail extensions on and reinstall the end caps in their new forward location! :)
this is a great idea, i didn't even think of this. i'll have to look around and see where and how much i can pick up a single rail for. i'd want to go with a stock look, which means the new extensions would need to be welded to the current rails for a seamless look and more stability. so that leads me to another question: what the heck is that scratch-resistant coating on the rails? i'll need to remove that stuff and take it down to bare metal to do any welding work, then i'll need to have them recoated as one piece to hide the seams. i can always have them powdercoated flat/matte black, but a stock look to match the rest of the trim would be much better IMO. anyone know what this coating is?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
this is a great idea, i didn't even think of this. i'll have to look around and see where and how much i can pick up a single rail for. i'd want to go with a stock look, which means the new extensions would need to be welded to the current rails for a seamless look and more stability. so that leads me to another question: what the heck is that scratch-resistant coating on the rails? i'll need to remove that stuff and take it down to bare metal to do any welding work, then i'll need to have them recoated as one piece to hide the seams. i can always have them powdercoated flat/matte black, but a stock look to match the rest of the trim would be much better IMO. anyone know what this coating is?
You must be talking about the black ones. I don't believe it is powdercoating, but possibly paint. I have seen one in my area where the black was "wearing" off in spots, where the bare metal was showing. There is also a picture of one in the same situation on the forum, but I can't remember where I saw it. Thus, there has to be away to get it off. If you were to do this, be aware of the contour of the roof! It slopes towards the front. Doing this would be an excellent way to add a roof bar light rack and have it located above the windshield. When I changed my black ones for chrome, it was before I knew about this forum. I told the dealer to pitch the black ones! If I still had them, I'd give them to you! Good luck with this and keep us posted on how you make out. :eek:rangehat:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts