Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Extended Warrenty

I bought my Limited in January. Now that a year is almost gone, I'm getting notices about buying extended warrenties. Note, that I didn't buy one when I purchased the Jeep.

So, now that was have a year longer under our belt, what is the consensis on extended warrenties on the Commander?

I'm not a hard user. Currently have 6,200 miles on it.

After thinking about having a newly designed car, perhaps extended warrenties would be a good investment. But I don't know.

MDS
electronic transmission
drive by wire
Nav system
all the computer controlled stuff

But, I haven't read about any big problems. This forum seems to have many problems that only a few have had.

I still have a couple months to make up my mind.

Thanks for any advise

Tom

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Re: Extended Warrenty

More than likely they will continue to send extended warranties in mail until your close to your pay off. I belive that whom every has information of your vehicle sells it to insurance companys. I myself purchased extended warranty when I purchased vehicle in Feb 2006 it already has over 18K, with your driving habits I would not purchase until you get close to your existing warranty goes out and that would be only if your vehicle was in the repair shop between now and then.:)

·
Registered
192 Posts

I paid cash for mine, and I still get the warranty crap in the mail.

I do not believe in extended warranties. Anything major will show up in the standard warranty period; the rest is somewhat small change compared the the warranty costs involved. (USUALLY!)

My only exception is Craftsman shop vacuums. They crap out just before the extended warranty expires, and I get a new one free! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts

I got the extended warranty thru the miles of freedom program, other wise I would not have purchased it. I have had my 06 limited with the HEMI for 11 months and have nearly 21000 miles on it. So far the only thing that it has been to the dealership for is the scheduled maintence.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just purchased my '06 Commander..so far so good...just some minor, paint, tire, and cleaning issues but the dealer took care of everything for me.

I guess my question is what you all think of purchasing the extended warranty programs jeep offers. I know they cover different things but I was just curious...

Thanks
IBJIBN

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought the extra heavy duty, premium, ultra comprehensive, all seeing all knowing extended warranty with my Commander. Just because it was a first year model and its got all kinds of computer controlled gadgetry on it....plus we plan on keeping this thing for a long while...... I have a feeling it will be worth it down the road.

Almost everyone gets pressured into buying an extended warranty when they are in the finance office and almost everyone hates to spend money on it, my advise is, if you buy a warranty then get one of the more comprehensive ones...dont go cheap.
The last comprehensive extended warranty I purchased paid for itself and then some with the replacement of a power steering pump and master cylinder on my 01 F-150. Both happened way outside of the factory warranty coverage. Made a believer out of me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I guess its too late for this since you've made your purchase already, but I got the A1 extended warranty as a dealer incentive. He had some factory cash available and some playability with financing, so he threw in the extended coverage in leiu of $1500 factory cash, and gave me 1% less on the financing, actually saving me about $2200 in the long run. Anyway, just thought I'd pass this on if anyone is considering a new purchase. Oh, and its about 80 degrees here, so I'm gonna play in the mud!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I bought the full extended warranty with mine. Jeeps have a fairly short standard warranty and if you plan on driving it past that warranty get the extended one. After all, Murphy's law says that something major will break the day after the standard warranty expires. It is much easier coughing up the extra cash up front than getting surprised by something major down the road.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got an extended warranty. For the simple reason first model year always have issues with a first year model. It is just a given. So to make sure I have some coverage bought a 5yr 100k warranty. Came in handy with my last car as well as my gap insurance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With zero percent financing for 72 months through DC Financial, which I took advantage of when it first came out June 1st, an extended warranty becomes an even more attractive option. However, shop a few Chrysler/Jeep dealers to get the best price. Use the Net. You don't have to buy at time of purchase. As you are already commiting to an expensive vehicle purchase, it may be best to do a little shopping for a factory warranty, just as you did for your vehicle. It also allows you to be more in control and not as pressured. In the past, I have saved several hundred dollars on the same factory warranty by shopping around.

Gap insurance up front, for about $80 a year, may also be a good idea. If you finance the entire amount or a large portion and/or don't use a trade, you may owe considerably more than your new vehicle is worth in a year or so. Insurance pays market value. The used 2006, low mileage, Commanders around here are already listing for a lot less than I would have hoped? Like the Durangos they don't seem to be holding their value that well. Upside down is not a good position to be in if your vehicle is totaled by an uninsured motorist or stolen and destroyed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I found several sources for Chrysler service contracts, at 1/3 the price the dealer wanted to charge me at purchase time. You can purchase a Diamler Chrysler Service cojntract within the factory warranty period, but is best to do so in 12 months or 12000 miles. PM me for the links. I did the 6 year 100K mile added care plus, cost me about $1300.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We got the Chrysler extended warranty with GAP as well. We also financed at 0%, so just added it in there. Also we purchased the tire/wheel warranty. Guess that was a good thing, because I just had a roofing nail removed from my Goodyear Fortera this afternoon. It won't cost me a thing to have it repaired. I purchased this contract on my Z as well and wouldn't you know I got a nail in one of those 18" tires with 3000 miles on it, and it couldn't be fixed and had to be replaced. That saved me a lot of cash. I would always get tire/wheel coverage, especially with the cost of the chrome wheels and 18" tires. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I got a certified '06 with the remainder of the standard 8/80,000 factory, but I went on and got the 8/80,000 bumper to bumper since it is a first year model. Side note, I got the 8/80000 standard factory powertrain warranty, but I heard that somewhere during 2006 they went to a 3/30000 as the standard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Extended Warranty

We have 33,000 miles on our 2006 Commander LTD. I have searched and the best quote I have found is at "chryslerservicecontracts.com" to extend my warranty to 7/70,000 for $1435 with a $50 deductible per visit. It is the "Maximum Care - 5007+ Components". Does anyone have any experience or info on this product or one that would be better. I usually do not purchase extended warranties but with all the electronics, and we have had a couple of modules replaced already on warranty, I think we will this time............Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty

That is what I got for mine. You never know when something electronic will malfunction. That is a little cheaper than what I got mine for. I think it will be worth it ... since I plan on keeping this jeep long term.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts

I got the same warranty with $100 ded when I bought the truck, rolled it into the financing. I think I paid a little more but its worth it, esp with the electronic issues I've heard about with DCX vehicles.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I also negotiated the 7/70 mastercare service contract ($100 ded)into my purchase price. The salesman told me the MSRP was $2350. On the purchase contract is shows a price of $1435. I got the 0.0% financing and I drive approx. 10K per year so it'll certainly pay for itself over my ownership of at least 5 years.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

Got a 7yr 100,000 from Dealer Services for $1,210 100 deductible per @ 0% spread over 15 months. Got also because of the electronics

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

I would like to hear some experience with extended warranties Good or BAd. Probably too early for the commander, but since this is my first venture I am interested on how they worked for others. Any pit falls to avoid. Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts

This is the third warranty I've had. I got the 5Yr / 100K Bumper to Bumper. Cost me about $1,300.00 at the dealer. We drive a lot, so the 5Yrs will be just fine. I have not used it yet, my 2006 Limited only has 4,300 miles on it (we just got it in January). The other warranties I had worked great. No problems. The first was on a 1984 Ford Tempo and the last was a 1999 Grand Voyager. Both warranties paid for themselves.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.