Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

the outside mirrors are not stable when the car's speed is above 35 miles. They are kind of shaking and it bothers me.

My outside mirrors have the folding feature fyi.

Is this a known issue or is this a specific problem with my car ?

Best Regards

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mine also are loose. There's a quick fix somewhere in here

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You are welcome guys ,, mine is shaking again and I need to redo it

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used to have that problem with my Corvette and also used adhesive to stabilize them. Instead of using Crazy Glue, which weakens with heat and water, try using a gasket sealer like RTV Black or any other motor or transmission silicone. They're made to withstand high temps, moisture and even oils.

I dipped a zip tie into the tube, grabbed a little silicone and wiped it onto the upper points where the mirror attaches to the power motor mounts. If it can hold up to the speeds of Corvette's, it should do well with our Commanders.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I used super glue on mine years back and it's still holding good. And we get hot summers, and cold snowy winters

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did my passenger side last weekend...easy. But I can't get to the clips on the driver's side. It's a different mounting harness..different type glass. I tilted the driver's side down as far as it would go...slewed it back and forth trying to expose more gap on top. No go. I tried removing black trim that is connect to the main assembly...only got the clip off by the 'elbow' that allows the whole mirror to fold either way. I didn't want to break it. Driver's side isn't shakey anyway...so hopefully it'll stay that way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Funny, I don't think I've ever read of anyone having a driver side mirror issue. Plenty of passenger side issues though.

Glad the Super Glue is working for some of you. Hope it holds forever. I only recommended RTV over Super Glue because it says on the package of Super Glue to use warm water to remove it. The bond will eventually fail. It's an easy fix though, so it's not really inconvenient to put a few drops of it on every year or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts