Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - I have a 06 Commander 4.7 base model. I replaced the long block because the #7 cyl went lean due to a plugged injector. The new motor is in, but I have a 4 pin plug (identical to the one plugged into the cruise control) that I cannot find a home for, The plug comes out of the Main engine wiring loom between coil packs on cylinders 6 and 8. (passenger side of engine) with about a 4" wire lead. I find nothing in this area for this thing to Crank sensor is plugged in, cam sensor is plugged in. Please help a new guy!!!

Joe R.
SW Washington

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Joe, I just went to look (understand it is dark here on the right coast) it appears it connects to something that goes down behind the rear of the engine. If no one else responds, I will try in the morning to see where it goes, but it looks as if it is a two person trace.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great if you could check it. I took photos of the old motor before pulling it, but I never seem to take the one I need. Commanders are pretty scarce in the Northwest is seems. I went on Auto Trader to see if I could find one close to look at and see where this connector goes. There are 3 within 100 miles, none of which with the 4.7, and I'm only 40 miles north of Portland, Oregon. Maybe nobody's selling.....?

I have the 2006 Commander Shop Manual as well as a Haynes 05-14 Grand Cherokee Repair Manual which are not that useful in the "this goes there" area. I've swapped in new motors before, but all had carbs and none had engine wiring looms like an F-16, and the shop wanted 8 grand, yes 8, for the job with a reman long block. I have 3k in it with a reman long block.

Joe "where does this go?" R.
SW Washingtonton

PS: I was dreading the "Did you check the simulated chrome dash overlay?" response. My faith has been restored!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Joe, I am afraid I am not going to be much help. It goes to a connector that has two wires coming out of it . When I climb under the car and have a friend pull on it I can see one heading up towards the front differential before I lose if behind the skid plate. I could not locat the second wire.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Well, he did tell you a wire bundle running from under the engine comes up and crosses over to connect to that connector.

Have you gotten under you vehicle and looked around for a disconnected wire bundle laying free? If you find that and route it up and it connects to subject connector, I think you have a darn good chance of solving your problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Creek -

I found the other end between the bell housing and the firewall. Hope you get this before you get dirty!. Thanks for your help. MUCH better site than another Jeep site I used to use.....

Joe R.
SW Washington

1 - 8 of 8 Posts