Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in adding the factory brush guard to my Commander, mainly to add two driving lights to the rig. Has anyone done that yet?

The lights I've seen in photos are small rectangular ones that go between the top bar and the bumper. I'm more interesting in installing a couple bigger (5"-7") round lights on top of the cross bar -- anyone seen that approach offered?

thanks,

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
No, haven't seen that anywhere yet. I am not sure how the mounting tabs are positioned on the guard. But I imagine you could mount above.

Sylvania makes a nice set of HID rectangular ones that have a wireless switch. They might work nice but wouldn't give you the round look you want.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rub,

I guess I _would_ prefer round lights in keeping with Jeep tradition, but the idea of wireless switching is very attractive... I'll definitely check out the Sylvanias. Any other lighting solutions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt I can get down to SC, Jeff, but can you tell us a bit more? Did you mean the brush guard and the small rectangular lights? How are the lights switched? Do they interact with any of the other lights, for instance, or do they just have a separate toggle switch on the dash somewhere?

I got to look at the lights/brush bar on a Commander on display at the auto show opening in Detroit this week. The lights are small Hella units that actually look pretty kewl, though I'm still wondering about round lights...

Thanks,

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
96 Posts
I installed the Mopar Grille Guard on my wife's Commander and we love it. I opted to leave off the rectangular lights because they are not very Jeepish, however, I am strongly reconsidering because I did add them to a stock unit here at the dealership and they look great!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also added the "bull bar", but not the lights. They have a small hole drilled in the lower side of the upper bar for the rectangular lights. You could definitely add round lights to the grill and feed the wires into the grill UNDER the bull bar, so it will be clean as can be.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Jangy said:
I also added the "bull bar", but not the lights. They have a small hole drilled in the lower side of the upper bar for the rectangular lights. You could definitely add round lights to the grill and feed the wires into the grill UNDER the bull bar, so it will be clean as can be.
I love the bull bar dude.;) I cant wait till i can start buying things for mine;)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have the grill guard and light kit on order and cannot wait to get them and have them installed. I think it will make the front end look just right even though my jeep will never be in a place where its needed other than maybe the lights. It would be interesting to know how the lighting will be switched. I assumed it would just tie into the fog lights.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
How does the bar attach? I need to have a bracket built for a surf rod rack. I was looking at sanwiching it between the tow hooks and frame. Is the a better spot to attach it?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Creek. I wish I knew all I can tell you is it says "no drill" installation. Maybe some of the others who have them or installed them will enlighten us a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts