Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember who posted this or where it was posted, but someone was saying that the factory chrome wheels are just overlays so that is you scratch one you can replace it. Was wondering what wheel was underneath the overlay? Is the factory standard wheel? ANd if so where can I buy these overlays...

·
Registered
77 Posts
The "Chromed Plastic Covers" are fixed to aluminium wheels. Those are "forged" and harder than all the other "cast" aluminium wheels that can be ordered from the factory. This is the reason I got them, although I do not like the "Chromed Plastic Covers". They do however have an additional advantage, in that the surface is so smooth, that they are much easier to clean, as the dirt does not find the roughness in which it can hang on to. To my knowlegde, they are not designed to be exchangable.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I don't remember what the OEMs are beside the Fortera's. However, I know all the OEM ones are more biased to smooth on-road driving which can really effect your off-road performance.

Consider switching them to the new Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor tires. They offer great on-road traction AND great off-road traction. I am running them on my 2001 XJ and am very pleased and plan to put them on my 2007 XK as soon as it comes in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.