Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the difficulty on finding good rear shocks with a 2 inch lift.. ho hard would it be to make a shock extension?

I have not crawled under my XK yet to look..

Someone chime in!

Jim

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am gonna look at it when we go to put the lift on. I cant see why it cant be done....

there is such a short fall on good choices for rear shocks that some one should come up with an after market bracket to accomplish this...

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I was interested in the RX9000XL adjustable shock by Rancho. I called them last week to see if they made one for the XK, and the answer was no. He did say that they might build a quik lift for it.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i'm finally moved. so after i unpack my garage i'll start doing some research on the commander. i have to rip off the front bumper anyway. so i'll measure for shocks and make a facts sheet. i'm going to disconnect the rear shocks and do some measurements to see how much they actually limit suspension travel.

·
Premium Member
1,320 Posts
4.7commander said:
i'm finally moved. so after i unpack my garage i'll start doing some research on the commander. i have to rip off the front bumper anyway. so i'll measure for shocks and make a facts sheet. i'm going to disconnect the rear shocks and do some measurements to see how much they actually limit suspension travel.

I was wondering if you had an opportunity to take those measurements with all the great work you are doing on the front bumper. I am trying to find replacements to my stock ones to work better with the 4" lift.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Phunkeydude said:

I was wondering if you had an opportunity to take those measurements with all the great work you are doing on the front bumper. I am trying to find replacements to my stock ones to work better with the 4" lift.

Thanks
Still using your stock shocks with that lift??:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Still using your stock shocks with that lift??:confused:
Im bringing this thread back to life.

With the superlift you use your OEM struts up front and new rear shocks which are supplied with the lift. He was refering to upgrading both the front and rear shocks to something a little better. He wasnt using the stock rear shocks if thats what you were thinking.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Im bringing this thread back to life.
Glad you did- I have been looking to replace my OEM rear shocks with the Bilsteins or a comparable product, but haven't figured out which length, etc. to order for my 2" lift. Hopefully there will be some helpful replies/posts.

I emailed a technical question regarding this to ShockWarehouse- Their reply was:

Brad,
Bilstein doesn't have a shock specifically built for the 07 Commander with a 2" lift, so I can't be sure what will fit it. With a small lift, you can probably safely use a stock length shock and not run into any problems, but if you do a lot of offroading and want to take full advantage of your lift, you could try a 5125 series shock, these are ordered by length and for most sizes you've got different options for valving too.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Its funny you ask this cause I have been doing my research the past few days. I realize that ShockWarehouse doesnt list a Bilstien Shock for the commander with a 2 inch lift but they do have a shock with the perfect specs. Its the Bilstien 5150 10 inch travel shock with 255/70 valving. They also have the same shock with 170/60 valving if thats more appropriate for your driving needs. The shocks extended length is 25.91 inches and collapsed length is 15.89 inches. Thats perfect for a 2 inch lift. The only thing you will need to run these shocks is (4) M12x1.75x80mm bolts as the oem bolts wont work with these shocks.

Recommended
255/70 valving
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=15142

170/60 valving
http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/product.cfm?id=15141

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Bilstein 5150 rear shocks for 2" lift

The shocks extended length is 25.91 inches and collapsed length is 15.89 inches. Thats perfect for a 2 inch lift. The only thing you will need to run these shocks is (4) M12x1.75x80mm bolts as the oem bolts wont work with these shocks.
Appreciate your footwork- That is the info I have been looking for. Looks like the bolts must be the same thread but a little longer than the OEM ones.

I'm planning to do this- just have to find a strong, good quality bolt upgrade and figure out which valving I want to use. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Why won't the oem bolts work?
The oem bolts are the wrong size and wont fit snug so the shocks will make a clunking noise as your driving.

Appreciate your footwork- That is the info I have been looking for. Looks like the bolts must be the same thread but a little longer than the OEM ones.

I'm planning to do this- just have to find a strong, good quality bolt upgrade and figure out which valving I want to use. Thanks.
Im not exactly sure as I got that info from another member who is running those shock and posted in a thread exactly what you would need to run those shocks in the rear. Ill PM him and get the answer as im curious too. Also that member stated that Bilstien recommends the 255/70 vavling for a 2 inch lifted commander.

I think another option would be the rear N190 shocks from the OME 2" lift. And you could retain your stock bolts.
Yes, you could use the OME shocks for their 2 inch lift however they are valved specifically to run with their 2 inch lifted coils. This might not be the valving that you are looking for. Id contact OME and find out what the valving is on those shocks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts