Jeep Commander Forum banner

Factory Trailer Wiring harness

20K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  craigar22 
#1 ·
has anyone installed this thing?

i just got my hitch, bezel, and wiring harness. i also noticed in the instructions i have to have the startech tool turn something on.

anyone know why? i have the factory tow package (engine cooling fan, larger alternator etc, tow/haul button.)

thanks

#3 ·
#6 · (Edited)
yeah. that answered nothing i asked did it. there isn't anything there about the wiring harness is there.

i think i can figure out how to install the hitch in about two seconds.

start reading the questions.
Trying to help. You asked if anybody had installed the hitch. I guess you don't want my business.

Get Lost 4X4 said:
has anyone installed this thing?

i just got my hitch, bezel, and wiring harness.

#5 ·
i installed mine one my own, but still had to take it to the stealership to have them turn everything on with the star tech. For some reason any add on options like the tow harness or fog lights need to be programmed into the computer.

on a side note i am planning on getting the factor fog lights. does anyone know if it would be possible to just run them to my own switch instead of doing the startech stuff? i'm thinking of just splicing the factory wires and running a switch so i can use them with my high beams when desired.

#7 ·
I think there may be some legal issues to you using your factory fogs with the high beams. You may want to check on that. That being said there are a few members on this forum that wired their own fogs...for some reason Cico 7 pops into my head. You may want to check with those that have done it

#10 · (Edited)
I guess that it does not really matter if you are the only one working on the wiring, but traditionally the wire for the electric brakes is usually blue. It should also be blue at the trailer end to help you see which terminal it is.

One other point I would like to point out without upsetting anyone, When we post there is not voice interaction or body language visable unless we add smiley's or LOL's. We often tease people in person with no harm because we can tell that the person is kidding. Your comment about reading the question might have come across differently than you intended it to. This is often the case on the Internet. This is just my opinion for what it is worth. I know that I have done that before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.