Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weekends ago we went down to Capital Reef National Park in Utah for a wedding. I have yet to really see what my Jeep could do so I was excited to get it on some trails. Unfortunately all of the really offroad trails were closed due to Flash Flood warnings. I did a little, but nothing to serious.

I did find a rock to test out how my QT2 would do with off camber stuff. It did really well. I was worried how it would work compared to my old Jeep Grand Cherokee that had QD1.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice.
I see from the tag that you're a fellow Utah'n. Where you at, on the map? I'm in the SLC Metro area, and I'd love to know some good places to find some trails.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in West Jordan. I don't know a ton of trails, but Five Mile, Little Moab, and American Fork Canyon are some common places.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Those are great pictures. They are reassuring to me -- I just purchased this week a 2010 Jeep Commander with QT2, over others with QD2 because of the price and great condition of the vehicle that I bought (but I agonized over the decision for several days). It looks like you do not regret your choice. My Commander is replacing a well-worn 2000 Dodge Durango with part-time 4WD, which I will be letting my son drive. This is my very first Jeep, so I am excited.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Commander uses the ABS system to slow slipping wheels to the same speed as the wheels with traction. So all Commanders have "virtual" LSD's and will get great traction off road.

Of course, you can't beat truly locking the differentials when slogging through deep mud and really loose surfaces, but unless you're looking to do some serious 4 wheelin' the QT2 is going to work just great in most conditions.

If you're Durango is later than 2006 it might have the same feature, Electronic Stability and Traction Control was mandated by law in all 2006 and later vehicles, so I doubt Chrysler limited the advantages of that, that came with the mandate that required just a few more tweaks to improve off roading to just the Jeeps, but I really don't know for sure.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the QT2, I have found that when a tire is slipping that all I need to do is maintain a constant light throttle and it quickly begins to utilize the ABS to transfer the power. I had had no issues whatsoever climbing that rock. At the top, my front driver-side wheel was off the ground for a portion of it, and my rear passenger-side wheel was also off the ground for most of it. I am still looking at doing a No-Slip Locker in the rear though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Does the ABS lock the wheel that is in the air? My wife would be screaming and not smiling like yours in your picture if I tried that, by the way.

Please post if and when you install the no slip locker in the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts