Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife's 2006 Commander is running hot at idle. It's fine when driving. When she came home yesterday I popped the hood and noticed the fan rotating very slowly at idle compared to the pulley. When revving the engine the fan speed did not change. It almost looks as if you could grab the fan and stop it.

My initial thought was fan clutch. Any ideas or things to try before I replace both? THANKS!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Which motor and do you have a towing package?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4.7 V-8 Yes on towing package. The electric fan is working so i'm pretty sure it is fan clutch. Picked one up yesterday, just have to swap out and see.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The test for the fan clutch (With the engine off and NOT turning obviously) is to grab a fan blade and give it a hard push and let go. If the fan can continue to turn under its own momentum for a full turn, the fan clutch is bad. A new fan clutch, give it a push as hard as you can and it will stop the moment your hand leaves the fan, the clutch is suppose to be that tight. Frankly if the fan could move more than a few inches under its own momentum, I'd replace the clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts