Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have this happen? This weekend my JC starting flashing service indicator lights to "service rear parking assist" then "service 4wd system" the dash lights would dim and flash and the radio display did the same and it would turn on and off the headlights as well. It was acting as if it were possesed! After I parked and went out the next day it didnt do it, but it kept displaying the warning to service the rear parking assist system.

I took it to the dealership Monday am and it started doing the same thing again on the way there, with everything flashing etc, but now the turn signals wouldnt work while all this was going on. I left the car running knowing that if I turned it off it might not do it again when they looked at it. The mechanic said he had never seen this before and immediately took it back to his bay to put it on the computer. After checking he found a TSB for the computer control module of some sort, however it was not issued on my vin#, it was for vehichles manufactured before mine. He proceeded to reprogram the computer at which point it went completely haywire and died altogether? He said they would have to order a new board and I had to leave it over night. The part came the next day they installed it and test drove and gave it back to me. I drove it home parked it in the driveway, no problems with drive home. Later that evening went to put it in the garage, car started, put it in gear it lunged one foot and died and would not even turn over. Towed it back to dealer where it is still!!!! They told me yesterday they just dont know what is wrong. Today when I called they said they think the new board wasnt plugged all the way in and that may have been it. But they are keeping it and testing it still?????? How can they not know what the problem is? I thought the computerized equipment they have diagnosed all! Very frustrated at this point!! Not at all happy with strangers driving my car and leaving it on an excessivly over crowded lot to be subject to more damage!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More information from dealer. The part in question that was replaced is called the front control module. I was just told that now they do not think that part was defective, but that the problem may lie elsewhere between the modules. They are testing everything individually. :( Another night in a crappy rental.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rubicontrail, but the warnings were not valid. The 4wd and Parking assist were not malfunctioning. They found the problem (they say, we'll see) it was a loose wire going to the front control module. It was causing all of the lights and sensors to flash then eventually stopped the car from starting altogether. Hope this is the last I have to go back to the dealer!

·
Registered
11 Posts
See the post about dash lights going dead/ flashing. Mine did the same thing, it was so strange. The air condition turned off and on too. The car actually shut down while I was driving. When it did that, the check engine light came on and stayed on. I took it directly to the dealership. They said it was the ignition switch. He said a lot of people were having the same problem. Jeep has just updated the ignition switch to solve this problem according to my dealership. I am scheduled to get mine replaced.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
princess said:
How can they not know what the problem is? I thought the computerized equipment they have diagnosed all! Very frustrated at this point!! Not at all happy with strangers driving my car and leaving it on an excessivly over crowded lot to be subject to more damage!!
I know how you feel about leaving it with someone you don't know, I had a rental for eight days because of a back ordered cooling fan. Couldn't wait to get it back.
As far as the diagnostics go, these vehicles have quite a few modules that communicate to each other through two wires, a high speed wire and a backup lower speed. I've read that automakers have the ability to include self diagnostics into the vehicle itself but don't seem to want to add a couple of dollars to the cost of a vehicle. Even with all this module communication, if it's an intermittent wiring issue it may never trigger a fault. If it's a ground wire that's loose it can cause all kinds of weird things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts