Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spent the last 4.5 hours stuck on the side of the road with my 2010 Chrysler 300 RWD and a bad snowstorm in N.E. Ohio. I have had 4x4s since 1993, trading my 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel last year for the 300. Big mistake. Now that I have solidified my decision to get back to a 4x4, I have just found a 2010 Commander Limited, Hemi, AWD. Doing a little bit of reading, it seems you all know the Commander pretty well. Commander has 57XXX miles, is Stone White with Agate leather interior, and looks to be in excellent condition. What should I look at before buying this vehicle. Comes with a 2 year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and is a certified used vehicle.

I welcome any and all feedback.

Thanks,
Tiny

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Have it looked over by a good mechanic for any obvious signs of neglect.... otherwise you're pretty much good to go, especially since its a "certified preowned" since most dealers wont sell a vehicle like that if there's any known issues.

At 60k do the normal 60k maintenance with pretty much includes all the fluids, spark plugs, etc and you'll be starting your ownership at a good point.

Enjoy

·
Registered
389 Posts
Would also take a gander at the tranny cooling lines in the front left of the engine bay as viewed at the front of the vehicle to ensure the connections aren't leaking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is good to know, thank you both. Hoping to go look at it this Friday, and if the numbers can be worked out provided all is well mechanically I might take the plunge. Good point about being certified, if there were issues they would not do that. Makes me more enthused. If this weather breaks, hoping to see it Friday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is $25K a reasonable number for such a vehicle? 57XXX miles, Limited, new tires, fully inspected? From the photos looks almost immaculate.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Is $25K a reasonable number for such a vehicle? 57XXX miles, Limited, new tires, fully inspected? From the photos looks almost immaculate.
Do you have a link to the vehicle so we can help you out ?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Prices vary by region... but $25k seems high.

I basically bought the same vehicle; certified pre-owned, fully loaded Limited, immaculate condition, but with only 22k miles on it for ~$23k out the door two years ago.

Check blue book values for your region. Find out if it was a lease or a trade-in. There's always more room for negotiations on trade-ins because you know what they paid for the vehicle.... whereas with a lease they may already be hurting if they made a bad deal up front.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I bought mine a year old with 10,000 miles on it back in 07 for 29,000. Sticker new I think was 42,000. Seems high for 3 years old

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I must say I am surprised. Looking at KBB it retails for $28K+. I am in N.E. Ohio, and hoping to go see it tomorrow or Saturday. Will see if I can dicker them down, but from the ad it looks good. Will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Tiny, read that listing very closely. The specs on the vehicle say 57,xxx miles yet the description below the picture says 25,xxx.

Might be a misprint. That is a very clean looking Hemi XK. I like everything about it except the chrome clad wheels.

I bought my 09 Hemi Limited brand new for 33k. It was the last one on the lot and the GM wanted it gone that day, I got lucky. Its been a GREAT Jeep! I have the rare QT2 system with the Hemi and I have the HID headlights. Kind of a weird group of options but I like it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We paid $30,500 recently, out the door for our 2010 Limited, 31,500 miles. Paid cash, and they, an Arizona Jeep Dealer, wouldn't budge much. Very happy with the jeep though, even though, just two of us, and probably will never use the DVD package!

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
25K sounds really reasonable. I think the spark plugs in the hemi are to be changed at 30K and I would have missed it if I wasn't reading this forum. If it checks out with a mechanic, my 2010 at 40K is running like a champ. Plus, we need to replace the 2006-8 commanders that drop from the forum!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I drove 75 miles to test drive and hopefully buy the 2010 Limited, but they sold it out from under me. I called at 11:30 before leaving to ensure it had not been purchased, a deposit paid on it, or any claim before making the trip. I was told it was ready for me to test drive. Once I got there I was told it was out on a test drive, then 20 minutes later was told it had been sold the day before. At that point I went off of the salesman, sales manager, and almost broke out into a fight. Bull**** bait and switch tactics which I DO NOT PLAY. On the way home, I stopped and drove another Commander, and since I am a big man, 6'5" and 415 lbs, that essentially turned the Commander into a 3 person ride. I have made the decision to go back to a 3/4 ton Ram, but I want to take a moment and thank the contributions to this thread. I learned that I almost made an emotional mistake, if it had been there I believe I would have purchased it. Good luck to all of you and your Commanders, they are a nice vehicle just not big enough for me. Happy New Years to you all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It does seem a bit high. I just bought my wife an 07 XK with 54K fully loaded including nav for 17K out the door. Well worth it though. She's been a great vehicle. In fact, I just towed an 8 x 5 enclosed trailer 90 miles tonight with my bike in it. Did fantastic--but don't ask me about the mileage!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts