Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Flagpole on the 21st and had a blast. I went with a Jeep crew fron novajeepers.net but it was all wranglers. I made it though with a completely stock XK and highway tires. It's a fire road so it's easy but there are a couple tricky obstacles and incredible views. For an experienced jeeper it'll be easy but for a beginner or someone with a stock vehicle it's a lot of fun.

For those who are unfarmiliar with George Washingon National Forest, Flagpole it's maybe 5 miles out of Harrisonburg, VA

I'd like to have a few people who are comfortable with the trail, lead the group and be a spotter.

I'm available Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays.

Here's a couple pics of what to expect:

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Where ya been man? We have made several trips up/down there.
We had the first Camp Commander there. We weathered hurricane Ike,
or the aftermath of it up there.

Hey it is good to know there is another commander close by. I was planning
on going in mid August. I will keep you informed. If we are lucky, we can
hook up and run to rock house or some of the other mountains.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Keep me posted too, might try to get away from DC for this.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm down for any trips. I just got my Commander in February so my last trip was my first time off road.

I was hoping to go a little sooner than mid august if possible.

Plus i'm always ready to take on new trails as long as they're stock Commander friendly!! I'm still running highway tires since I don't have the money for upgrades at this point.

I'm hoping for a Sunday trip since most people are available weekends. I unfortunately work EVERY Saturday (it's my normal shift) so I can't go at all and it's impossible to take off.

When is everybody available? I'm perfectly fine with a small group for a trail ride. My last trail ride had about 21 Jeeps which seems too much to manage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd like to try that one out. My sister-in-law lives an hour from there so crashing at her place wouldn't be a problem (its the 9 hour trip to her house that's rough). But it is something I'm willing to do to try my hand at trails.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to try that one out. My sister-in-law lives an hour from there so crashing at her place wouldn't be a problem (its the 9 hour trip to her house that's rough). But it is something I'm willing to do to try my hand at trails.
The trails and view are beautiful. Surrounded by mountains and the trail leads right to the summit.

I know there are more commanders in the area!! Come on people.

Last time I went with 18 Wranglers! I felt like an outcast.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
That part was a good time especially when my tent leaked all over me and my kids. LOL
You tend to have that problem no matter where you camp, huh ? LOL.
For those of you not in the loop, Sal ASSUMED it wouldn't rain at Uwharrie so he didn't put the rainfly on the tent. Needless to say, he was rudely awakened. LOL

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You tend to have that problem no matter where you camp, huh ? LOL.
For those of you not in the loop, Sal ASSUMED it wouldn't rain at Uwharrie so he didn't put the rainfly on the tent. Needless to say, he was rudely awakened. LOL

HAHA! never assume. I'm down for a camping trip. I've been wanting to go camping for a while now. So is everyone in agreement camping/trail ride in August?

What days? I won't be available on Saturdays. Unless we shoot for further in the future like September I won't be able to take off a Saturday.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
The trails and view are beautiful. Surrounded by mountains and the trail leads right to the summit.

I know there are more commanders in the area!! Come on people.

Last time I went with 18 Wranglers! I felt like an outcast.
Just got my Commander and would love to hit the trails with you guys. Hopefully will have the proper mods by then!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You don't need any mods to hit this trail. I did it completely stock. A few rocks hit the underside but i made it just fine. We are going august 18th-21st. Contact cico7 for more information.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Just got my Commander and would love to hit the trails with you guys. Hopefully will have the proper mods by then!
You can get to the summit / camp site just fine with a stock vehicle. Its just a rocky, bumpy fire road. We have had a stock XK do the trails also. If you come and camp and dont feel completely comfortable doing the trails stock you can always ride along with one of us, no problem. We would love to have you.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Here is a video of the fire road. This video starts as you turn off the paved road and takes you all the way to the summit / camp site. As you will see, the access road is just a little bumpy and can be traversed by a stock vehicle very easily. Check out my other videos for the trails up there. The Camp Commander / East Coast Camp Commander / Meadows videos from 2009 and 2010 are all from Flagpole.

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
It's a great location and an even greater group of guys (and gals). Just a word of advice - avoid step ladders. If you can't avoid them, get yer wife or someone to hold that danged thing while you climb up to get stuff off the roof.

Hope you have a great time; I'm buried at work and won't be able to take time off until late September, October..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey all.. I'm in NOVA (Burke/West Springfield) area. I was just looking at the GWNF maps and wondering where the OHV trails were.

Anyway.. I've got a 2.25 RR lift and 265/65/17 bfg at ta's. I think this setup should get thru fire roads and such and those views look awesome!

Do you guys do any other trails in GWNF? I've been to Tasker's Gap before and that didn't seem too tough in a CJ. I think a commander with a little lift/mods could handle that.

Anyway, this sounds like a ton of fun. What is the campsite like?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you go on mapquest and search "flagpole knob Dayton, VA" it'll show you the peak of the trail where all the views are. Union springs rd in Rockingham VA turns into the fire road to flagpole knob and meadow knob.

On mapquest you have to zoom in really close to see the trail but it'll show you how it zig zags through the mountain.

The way I go is route 33 to Clover hill rd to Union Springs Rd.

When you get to the top "flagpole knob" youll need to turn around and turn left onto dunkie hollow rd (still the trail) and it'll take you back out to route 33 after passing switzer lake.

This is technically a fire rd but this is a real trail. It'll seem easy at first since the road turns from pavement to gravel to dirt then trail.

The last time I went parts of the trail were marked with spray paint with arrows when you come to forks. You'll want to stay on the trail and definitely do not trail blaze! This is one of the few trails in GWNF that's still open to OHV's.

Campsite is on Meadow Knob. It's a flat meadow there's a big wide open view of the mountains and it's super quiet. The times i've been up this trail I passed maybe one or two people just driving the trail.

I make it up this trail with a stock commander without 4lo and had no problems. There are a few spots where a skid plate would probably be a good idea because you'll scrape in the front but I made it through twice without one until I snapped the bolts for the cover on a huge rock.

There are a few obstacles on the trail that you may need help navigating and of course never go off roading alone!

The trail isnt too wide so you'll come out scratched up. Nothing major but if you care about your paint forget it.

It would be good to go with someone who's done the trail before but it's not difficult to navigate. There are a few parts where you'll have to choose right or left or even right, middle right, middle, middle left, or left lol but if you look at the trail on mapquest and get a good understanding of the trail you should be fine.

Also, on mapquest when you're looking at the trail it shows there are areas you can turn off of the trail to other peaks, they may be closed and they'll have barriers you can't pass. If there are any I haven't checked em out. So the trail is: route 33 to union springs rd in Dayton VA to meadow knob to flagpole knob turn around then left onto Dunkie Hollow Rd all the way back down to route 33 then left back to Harrisonburg.

Hope this helps and you enjoy the trail as much as I do! I know I can't wait to go back!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts