Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! I've searched through the forum and cannot figure out whether it's possible to remove the front fender without taking off the rivets on the flare? Can you access those front two bolts of the fender by taking off the headlight? I bought a salvage fender to replace mine - and they supplied it with the inner fender still attached. I'm wondering whether it's easier to take off the front grille and headlight to access those two front bolts of the fender or whether I have to remove the inner fender well? Looks like there are two bolts on the bottom (under the plastic rocker cover), two up under the headlight (running light area) and then 4/5 across the top (exposed clearly under the hood). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
Hello! I've searched through the forum and cannot figure out whether it's possible to remove the front fender without taking off the rivets on the flare? Can you access those front two bolts of the fender by taking off the headlight? I bought a salvage fender to replace mine - and they supplied it with the inner fender still attached. I'm wondering whether it's easier to take off the front grille and headlight to access those two front bolts of the fender or whether I have to remove the inner fender well? Looks like there are two bolts on the bottom (under the plastic rocker cover), two up under the headlight (running light area) and then 4/5 across the top (exposed clearly under the hood). Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
DuxDweller;

Welcome to the forum;

Please read the below link and reply accordingly;

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/89-new-member-section/63025-new-member-introduction-post-please-read-before-posting.html

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome to the forum Dux. See if the attached vedio provides any answers to your question.
Thanks Creek. Helpful in terms of how to remove the front bumper - but I can't tell whether this gets me access to those front two bolts or not?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All - just thought I would share my experience in case anyone else has to do this. First - it's a bigger PIA than I thought. In order to take off the fender, you need to take off the front grill, bumper cover and headlight. Once you get those off, you can access the two front bolts (not much room, but you can get an open ended wrench in for the back one). Bolts are 10mm. Both are painted - so although they are 10mm, its a very snug fit. Keep at it because sizing up to an 11mm is going to strip it. There are 3 bolts along the top (exposed), two up front, two under the plastic running board and one INSIDE THE FENDER near where the door hinge is. Also - there are 3 pinch clips that connect the front of the fender (plastic part) to the bumper cover. They're a hassle - but they will come loose. Feel free to message me if you're having trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts